Getting an estimate for a re-plaster job...

waskydiver

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

About a year ago, I made a post about the life of the plaster in my 30 year old pool with original plaster. The original post, with pictures is here:

how-long-should-plaster-last-t22308.html

Since then, I have started noticing more spots of what looks like the water reaching the rebar.

I have scheduled an appointment for an estimate on getting the pool re-plastered.

Any advice on what to look for, or avoid from the pool company doing the estimate?

My fear is that, like EVERY contractor that comes to my house, I will hear: ::Whistle:: I've never seen anything like this before. You're going to need a complete rebuild... Start from scratch. In fact, the pool's so old, that it's out of code. Can't even fill it in at this point without rebuilding your house. Gonna cost you about a quarter of a million... We take Visa. Be right back... I have to call to get a lien put on your house.

I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible to avoid the above. :)

You can "What If" yourself to death. Let change that to dealing with the "What Is". I learned a prayer some years ago. It goes like this: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I say it when I am in a situation I don't have all I need to resolve it right away. It helps me.

Scott

Like with every major purchase, it helps to speak in person with many of your neighbors, even 50 miles away with pools similar to yours. Ask them who they recommend and if they would change anything if they had to do a replaster today. One small secret in our southern state is that every plasterer subs out the jobs to his competitors, thus they all know each others prices and attempt to keep prices locked. (...Illegal in many professions where contracts are signed...). If you can distinguish one company over another, great, in our area the key is to know how they base their prices and the fact that the one contractor I rejected, showed up anyway, as part of another company crew, got paid day labor rate from a locked cash price. Personally, I have had very good success in sticking to the same company, for many jobs (family pools) and negotiating cash price so they know this job is never the last one in the next 10 years and are willing to make special adjustments in price and profit. At the end of the day, everyone needs to be happy and want to return to do another job and they want you to recommend them to your family and friends.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.