The 'Ol Frog Pond

NickD

Jul 17, 2011
Granbury, Tx
Hello All!
First post and a few questions about my pool, err frog pond.

2 weeks ago all was well, then it started turning green. Used the granular shock and tested the next day, chlorine level still at .5. Added 16 oz chlorine granules, retest, same. Repeat, same results. Bought test strips and found CYA at 140 :shock: . Spent the next week draining about 60-70% of the water out and refilled which was complete at 4:30PM today. I have ordered the TF-100XL kit but for now must use the old "Pentair Pool and Spa Test Kit" and the "AquaCheck" strips. After refill and starting the pump/filter, my CYA is 40 :-D , TA is 180, FC is 0, pH is 8.4, can't do other tests. I used the pool calculator to determine that 217 oz of acid was required so I dumped it in at 4:30PM). I just retested (6:30PM) and it is 7.2! Is it normal for pH to react that fast?

I am following the instructions on "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis" so I have bought lots of bleach (CostCo has (3) 182 oz (4.26 gal) 6% Clorox for $7.45). Since pH has reached 7.2, Pool Calc says 955 oz of bleach to get to FC 15, sound right? Dump it in all at once? Retest in 1/2 hr and continue per instructions.

When I receive new test kit I will update test results. Anything I missed?

Thanks,
Nick

Is it normal for pH to react that fast?
Absolutely normal....good job!

Anything I missed?
You will need about four times that much bleach, at least. You got enough just for the initial dose which will likely disappear in the first 6 hours. You need to CONSTANTLY maintain your chlorine above 15ppm until your water is crystal clear....perhaps several days from now and that will take a lot of bleach......it's the only way. If you try dabbling at it, you will not get your pool clear.

I wouldn't even start the process until you received the kit because you currently cannot measure the high levels of FC that you need to to make the shock process a success.

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I was going to wait til the test kit arrives, hopefully tomorrow, before starting the process, so thanks for the confirmation. I also need about 5 more cases of bleach, that would be a little over 21 gal. Think that will be enough, initial dosage is 7 gal, 2 qt?. I just dumped about 3 gal in which is all I had. I couldn't stand to not do anything. Thanks again.
Nick

I loaded up on bleach this morning. When I got home I tested with the "old" kits since my new TL-100XL wasn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow.
FC: 5
pH: 7.2
TA: 180
CYA: 40
Plugged these into the pool calc and added 728 oz of bleach at 12:40PM.

A little later my new test kit showed up so I did a set of new tests at 1:50PM.
FC: 22
pH: 7.8
CC: .5
TA: 240
CH: 150
CYA: 20 :eek:
Chlorine was high but is to be expected since my CYA was incorrect. pH is higher than expected, should I worry about it? TA is also high but may correct later? I added DE to my sand filter, pressure went from 14 to 15 :wink:

At 4:15PM:
FC: 19
Pressure is 35, backwashed, added DE, pressure is 15

6:00PM:
FC: 18
Pressure is 35, backwashed, added DE, pressure is 15

According to the "New" pool calc based on CYA of 20, my target FC is 10 so I will monitor and keep it there or slightly higher.

Should I correct my pH down to 7.2?

Should I raise my CYA ?

Anything else to consider?

I am very encouraged so far. Pool is still green but the water is clearing up and I can see the bottom drain (9ft). I think tomorrow I will vacuum the algae dust to waste, what do you think?

Thanks,
Nick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.