Holiday problem...

You may want to look into adding either a Liquidator or a saltwater chlorine generator to the pool. The liquidator allows you to add liquid chlorine to the pool from a reservoir that needs to be topped off every week or so. A saltwater chlorine generator generates its own chlorine and adds that to the pool. The pool operator only needs to monitor its function and make sure it is generating chlorine adequately for the pool, and perform routine maintenance as needed.

With so many of your levels untestable water replacement is not a bad idea at all. It'll give you a fresh start on the CH and CYA - neither of which can be removed without water replacement. I would still add enough soda ash to get the PH up unless you are draining as we speak.

Did the CYA test come in at 100ppm perhaps? There isn't really a 100% reading for CYA - not that it really matters, sounds very high. If it is 100ppm most CYA tests max out there - so like your CH and PH it may have wandered way outside the bounds. High CYA isn't dangerous to your family - but it does make chlorine much less effective. Most people with high CYA end up with some sort of "incurable" algae issue.

A salt water generator sounds like a great idea for your situation. In the states the equipment for an average sized pool ranges from $600 to $1200 and should last approx 3 to 5 years before needing a replacement cell ($400 ish). If Malta does have hard water then the cell will need some periodic cleaning to get rid of calcium scale - not difficult, but something to keep on top of. If you go with a swg - definitely replace the water - a CH level above 1000 is going to be a real pain to manage.

OK - now Ive done it. I was doing a backwash, and the valve to the main drain broke off in my hand (when I was wanting to clean the filter). I am emptying the pool into a reservoir (can you believe they have a reservoir next to the pool which can contain all the pool water!). Any tips on emptying or refilling (once tap is replaced?) I have set the multiport valve to drain, and will take the water below the level of the tap. Not so fond of pools anymore :(

Hard to picture what's going on. The only thing I'd say with the draining is dont let the pool sit empty too long. If the plaster drys out it can crack.

You also shouldn't need to drain the pool all the way. a 3/4 drain should reset your CH/PH/CYA issues almost completely.

If the gardener can test the water, you can make him up a cheat sheet on what to add based on the results of his test. Its literally 5 minutes to do so. Maybe he can be the new pool man (and make some extra $$$) for a while?

Sorry obviously didnt explain properly. I went to backwash, and broke the tap off that shuts off water to the main drain. Water started to pour out of the broken tap. I have therefore drained down the system so that the water level is below the level of the broken valve in the pump room (so no more water gushes out). Next I have to refill it (once I have found a replacement valve tomorrow morning). Is it a simple matter to refill - do I need to worry about air locks etc? It is a DE filter system.

Lershac - on the testing that is exactly what we have done. Gardener will check the levels and adjust. He is also going to vacuuming etc. He is very reliable, and honest.

Incidentally when we added soda ash the pool started to go green so we knocked up the chlorine levels higher. The pool is just shifting now to 7.2 which will be good when we manage to get the water all back iin the pool. One day...

Thanks all for your help over the last few days. Last day of holiday today: old brittle valves all replaced; 50% water change; soda ash has brought pH down to 7.4 leaving a layer of what I think is limescale at the bottom to be hoovered up later this morning; CYA levels now at about 50ppm; chlorine levels at "ideal level" on my new testing kit which has been given to the person who will look after the pool from today. On Tuesday the DE filter will have its first service in two years, and I am preparing a cheat sheet for the gardener to look after the pool. Quotes starting to come in for an SWG. All these changes made as a result of help provided on this forum. Much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.