Replacing the suction side pipe

Yoav

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Pardes Hanna, Israel
Hello All,

I am about to replace my suction side pipe using rigid PVC, crossing the back yard from skimmer to pump and in effect making a 180 deg. turn.
I have two possible ways of doing it and was wondering if there is a difference.
The upside of the second option is less digging... but I can't decide which of the options presents less resistance to flow.

Some "ASCII art" to illustrate the issue:

1. 3 segments, 2 x 90 deg. joints
2. 4 segments, 2 x 135 deg joints, 1 x 90 deg. joint

Code:
Pump        Skimmer       Pump       Skimmer
 ^             |           ^            |
 |             |           |            |
 |             |           |           /
 |_____________|           |__________/
        1                        2

Appreciate your input.
Yoav.

If you actually mean two 45 degree bends replacing a single 90 degree bend where you said 135 degree bends but drew something closer to 45, then it comes out about even either way. Two 45s are about the same as one 90. If you actually meant 135 degrees, one 135 is worse than a single 90, and two 135s is much worse than one 90.

JasonLion said:
If you actually mean two 45 degree bends replacing a single 90 degree bend where you said 135 degree bends but drew something closer to 45, then it comes out about even either way. Two 45s are about the same as one 90. If you actually meant 135 degrees, one 135 is worse than a single 90, and two 135s is much worse than one 90.
That's why I made the drawing - I knew the 135 would be a confusing description.
I guess then its a matter of convenience now.

Thanks,
Yoav.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.