I Just open pool to dirty and green water

IJT

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2011
New Jersey
Hello all, I'm new to the site and i have a in-ground 20,000 gal pool, DE filter, just open it a few days ago, its very green and bottom dirty with leaves, i cant see the bottom as of now. I have put a total of 12 /182oz of bleach in pool, and it is getting lighter, and i have a Leslie's DPD test kit, i did a test for FC but no match on the color chart comparator tube, it was clear. I run the pump at night with just bleach in it.
How much more bleach do i need to clear the green out of the pool? and when will i get test reading from the test kit? Please help im new to just using bleach in the pool,but it is getting lighter. :?:
Thanks for any help with this.

Bad news is: your test kit is inadequate. And now one can tell how much bleach you'll need. A lot of that depends on how frequently you replenish. Each time the FC dips below shock level, algae resumes growing. So it's one step forward and two steps back. Could be twenty gallons, could be 200....

Best thing right now is head to Pool School and start reading.

Hi Richard,
I dont understand why test you say test kit is inadequate, on the label it reads complete Poolcare DPD Test Kit
Free & Total Chlorine or Bromine, ph, acid 7 Base demand, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, Cyanuric Acid. Can you Explain why its not adequate

Im going to try to take test kit back to Leslie's today, i was looking to get a good test kit as fast as i can, i need to keep my shock level up at as i clear my pool. I feel im in the dark without the right kit, so should i just keep adding bleach to pool to help clear up the green water , and contuine to clean and remove leaves from the bottom of pool?

I just became a TFP Supporter today, Im so glad I did, now i can order the correct Test Kit and get my discount. Thanks for all the help, im sure ill need more. im going to order the TF-100, and ill just keep the K- 2005. I did read that you can get an upgrade k-1515A its a single kit that will do the same tests that the K2006 will do. But i will still order the TF-100, its a better bang for dollor. Now back to my green pool, its getting better with just adding 6% bleach, but till i get my TF-100, what will be the best thing to do to keep the geen from coming back?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi pepsiholic,
I m waiting for my test kit to come, but i will post my readings, i got with my test strips.

FC 3
TC
CC
TA 80
ph 7.8
CYA 30
I know this is not the best test , but for now its all i got.
will keep posting on pool, as it gets better, my shock level is FC 13 now. but i must keep anding bleach 6% till its clear. i did read this post turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

this was very helpful, all i can do now is add more shock, and keep checking readings. to all newbees - Get a Good Test Kit first, it will save you a lot of time and money and work, test kit to get is TF-100.

:wave: Hi from NJ, your new kit will arrive soon, I was surpised at how quickly mine arrived. Once you know what is going on with your pool it is much easier to figure out how much and of what chemicals you need to fix it. Be sure to fill us in on your progress and post pictures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.