New Orleans, LA
Had water tested at a local shop today (9:30 am sample):

TA: 120
pH: 7.2
Ca: 350
CYA: 77
FC: 0.0
NaCl: 2100

Since the testing, I added 3 bags of salt. I want to get the level up to at least get the SWG operational. Right now it is giving me the check salt light. I added 240lbs over the weekend which didn't do enough. Trying to add slowly as I don't want to drain and come back down.

Since my FC is at 0, should I add bleach to the pool or let the SWG try to catch up once it becomes operational? If I add bleach, do I bring the level up to 3-5 for the SWG or to 4-7 for the bleach recommended settings?

Should I go ahead and correct the pH now? I know TA is a little high... I think this may auto correct with aeration once the SWG gets going?

I think the remainder is ok for now. Once I get my tester in the mail and get the SWG and FC balanced, I think I can fine tune those a little. Agreed?

Lady at pool shop tried to sell me Clear Water Algae control to add with the granular chlorine she wants me to add. Is this a recommended product? Necessary? I didn't think it was, so I didn't buy.

Whew...I hope that's all. Nope, I do have algae growth on the steps which I brushed off and a polaris running which should help stir the salt.

Yes, you need to shock the pool. Don't do it as a one time dose but do it (with liquid chlorine) by following the step by step directions found in the article in Pool School "How to Shock Your Pool".

30ppm chlorine is not too much with your CYA where it is.

It may be too late, and not to contradict Anona's advice because it's good, BUT, if the swg is operating now I'd bring it to shock level and leave the swg on while you're gone. However, if the cell still isn't producing I wouldn't worry about shocking till you return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.