Adopted a pool, need help

Jul 6, 2011
We have recently moved and obtained a very nasty pool in the process. Through google, and some friends I have managed to get the pool sparkling and clear. However I have no idea how to maintain or know the in's and out's of my filter and pump system. The pool store nearby is no help they just keep trying to persuade me to purchase more and more without telling me what may be going on.
My pool is inground, 30,000 gallons, vinyl liner and sand filter. I think, the previous owner is also no help. I do know how to turn the filter on, backwash, vacuum to waste, and all that. But I don't know the appropriate times or reasons to do some things. We continue to get a small amount of what looks like sand on the bottom of our pool, we just vacuum it up. Is that wrong, we do it every couple of days. Also one of our filter outputs into our pool is cloudy, is that from just pressure, it looks dirty to me but I have no idea the cause. The pool store recently tried to get me to spend several hundred dollars to have them change my filter sand but the previous owers mentioned they changed it a year before and before spending that money I wanted to know answers. Also i am pretty hands on and i think I could change it myself, if I could have any insight on how and why the filter and pump work. I live in Georgia and I have heard pools are hard to maintain towar the end of the summer so I wasnt to have the know-how before that happens.
Any help on this would be appreciated, any information about pools and the equipment also. Like I said I am very new to this, I am learning quickly, but I have no more help here. Any tips or answers would be appreciated. Also the model number on my pump... STA-RITE WC112-147. If that helps

Reading pool school and getting a good test is a good place to start. Read pool school and then go out to the pool and figure out what it's talking about. Use the visual encyclopedia to help identifying equipment. Things will get easier once you actually start doing them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.