New to BBB Where to start.

Just got home from work, it is raining so hard I am not going to test the water tonight. It is a muddy mess out there! I will test it in the morning, though even if I need hip boots! I will take the shock and the PH up back. I didn't see the Muriatic Acid. Have a nice night, enjoy your pools tomorrow! :wave:

This is crazy!! After all of the bleach 6% I am still not getting a Chlorine reading!

I only did two test this time. Using the blue box that came in the kit (K-1000) it shows no change on the Chlorine side, but the PH has gone up to 8.2
I also did the Chlorine Drop Test with the R870 powder, It did not turn the water pink so I didn't do the rest of the test. If there are any other test that you think I should do, I will. But
since I was interested in a Chlorine reading this is all I did. :cry:

I was wondering if the chemical kit I had could be wrong so I got the Intex strips out that came with the SWG pump and tested with those. It looks like
Chlorine 0.2
PH 8.5
TA 120

Clorox 6% Regular (No scent)
Did the CYA test can still see the black dot. No change at all.

I ran the SWG for 11 hours a few days ago could that be my problem? It is supposed to run daily for 7 hours, but I was trying to get chemicals correct first. The pump has been running non stop.

Salt is now 6.4 which is 2740 which is higher than it was.

OK, excuse me if I am wrong here, I am reading on my phone so scrolling back is not quite as easy. Have you never added stabilizer? I saw where it was discussed, but not where you added the 10 lbs someone calculated.

Let me go back and read!! I thought I was supposed to do that after I had a chlorine level.
I just put in two 1lb bags of shock. for 24,000 gallon pool. The water is looking so bad and where I put the first bag it looked so much better, I sprinkled it around the rest of the pool. It called for 1 1/2 bags. I have stabilizer and can add it.

Yes, 3 qts of bleach and 10lbs stabilizer. Do I need to put the stabilizer in before getting a chlorine level? I put in two of the 1.42 gallons of bleach. 182oz each yesterday, and today there was still no Chlorine in the test. (That is 11 qts!
The pool was looking so dirty and cloudy by now with the rain the last couple of days, I put the shock I had here in it. Someone said it was like Chlorine. I thought I would let it run tonight and see what the test show in the morning.

The public pool is starting to look good to me for tomorrow! :) I'm afraid I am getting a little frustrated with the test results remaining the same no matter how much bleach I add! Not to mention red mud up to my ankles and hefting 40lb bags of salt.

We prefer to shock with some CYA in the water. It stabilizes the chlorine so that not only does it hold up against the sun, but it is less harsh on the liner.
So, time to add enough CYA to get to 30ppm from 0 ppm. From that point on, use your calculated value. Don't bother testing for a week or two or three. Unless your chlorine loss seems weird, we will assume it is there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok to do the stabilizer and chlorine together. Then, if you can do that tonight, we will see where you are on the morning. Should be better.
Hope you are taking notes on what you are doing.

Lol! No kids! Just my daughter (30 years old) and she broke two bones in her ankle two weeks ago and had to have surgery. So I am not sure how bad she will want to wade through the mud to get in the pool! She did go to a pool party last weekend and got in though.

Hubby is going to put concrete in next week if he thinks it has settled enough. He had to dig out an extra 3 feet all the way around for the supports. He also had to make his own metal support since the pool was supposed to have 8 and they only shipped 7. It looks good in that picture that was before the rain!

I will go back out now and add the stabilizer. :hammer: :goodjob:

OK, for you I will be brave and look in the basket. (Please no frogs tonight!) One more question. The stabilizer says 1lb for 4,000 gallons and to add it in the skimmer basket. But to have the pump running. Hubby said for me not to open the basket and take it out without turning off the pump or it would get air in it and not run. (Hubby is out of town)

I only have 6 lbs. I think someone said to put it in a sock and put/tie? it in/on the pool. I did put the shock in it. So add the stabilizer and bring some more water in to test?

More bleach means a trip to the store. I did purchase some chlorine tablets tonight. (Because I haven't been able to get a Chlorine reading. (Someone wondered if I had an off name brand. No Regular 6% Clorox.

AHHH, it was you that said to tie it off by the return.
" I found the Stabilizer & Conditioner sold at Walmart was easy to dissolve and far cheaper than liquid. Just put into an old Knee Hi and tie off in front of a return." MINE just says stabilizer not conditioner.

One more question, the return is where the water leaves the pool to go to the basket right?

OK, I tied a knee high in front of the return. It has three lbs of stabilizer in it. I didn't get any water to test, I seriously got stuck in the ground around the pool. I sank up to the top of my boots and couldn't get out!! I was getting a bit panicky! lol Since there are no neighbors close by. lol
This image was before I sank in the mud.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And my boots after...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok, we have Chlorine!! I can't tell you how much, but it is much more than I need. It is supposed to be yellow in the total Chlorine test. It is orange. It will be interesting to see what it is in the morning. I did the CYA test and while the water makes the dot cloudy it is still easily seen and it does not disappear.

Yes, I am taking notes on what I am doing. It is getting to where I know which bottles to grab and how to do the test without reading the directions, but I still read each time to be sure. :)

I am thinking it might not be a good idea for blondes to be in the pool right now.

Don't bother testing for CYA for awhile, you put it in, it its there. You can check in a week or three. Just use your "calculated CYA" in calculator.
The stuff you added is correct, stabilizer/conditioner/CYA all the same thing, labels differ. The brand you got sounds like what we put in my friends pool, slower to dissolve than HTH brand so squish the sock when you are there.
Right now, at shock level with some CYA undissolved, the pool is really above shock level. So no one, blonde or not, will want to be in for long. It will irritate tender skin; nose, eyes, privates. Harsh on hair too. What blondes need to be wary of is copper, found in some combo chlorine tablets and algaecides- that turns hair green. (add to notes, always read contents of pool chems, look for copper)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.