Can I use Cal-Hypo only to chlorinate?

You need some CYA in the water no matter what the source of chlorine. In Vegas, 60 or 70 wouldn't be outrageous.

Cal-hypo, however, is another story. Every time you add it, you add Calcium. The water will evaporate, the chlorine will dissipate, but the Calcium remains forever. You'll be in quadruple-digits in no time, if you aren't already. A huge number of posters from Las Vegas post about scaling. Don't be one of them.

Your two best options are bleach or a saltwater chlorine generator.

I suggest you order up a good test kit ASAP, and immerse yourself in Pool School. Pool School has a good article on what constitutes a good test kit.

You don't want to, our calcium level is 350 out of the tap and the evaporation is constant. CH is a battle to stay below 1000 in our pool. I only have scale to fight on my spill over from the wind and such but I use a lot of acid to keep the TA and PH in check, I would not use cal-hypo here ever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.