Did I really need Polyquat 60 algaecide

Jun 28, 2011
Well I just put my new Intex Easy Set 12' x 36" kiddie pool on Monday. Tuesday I checked the levels and added the pool shock as per the Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools states to do. Wednesday I tested and my ph was at 6.8 so I added 20 oz. of borax per the pool calc. then 30 minutes later added the pool shock again. If I'm understanding this right I need to add the pool shock for 2 more nights than after that just check my fc and ph levels and add bleach and borax as needed right? If I keep up with nightly testing and keeping up with my fc and ph do I still need to use the Polyquat 60 once a week? I'm having a hard time finding it in the stores under that name. I'm totally new to this and having a pool. My husband will kill me if I screw this up. He already thinks I'm crazy using bleach and borax. Any advice for me. My pool only holds 1779 gallons of water and I am using the Intex 1000 gph filter pump and keeping the solar cover on and running the pump overnight. We have yet to swim in the pool because I want to make sure the water is safe.

I am a bit new to this, but from what I have read you typically only shock if there is a *problem. If you can maintain a stable FC overnight (a loss of less than 1), and near 0 CC, then you are good shape.

As for algacise, again from what I have read here, it is not neccessary as clorine will take care of algae as long as the proper chemistry is maintained.

We recommend algaecide for seasonal pools because it will help protect you if you skip a day, and also because seasonal pool owners tend to not have a good test kit, so all of their levels are less certain. If you manage the pool methodically each day there isn't any need for algaecide.

Polyquat is never sold under that name. It is usually "Something 60" or "Something 60% strength". Look for something with a primary ingredient of Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride.

Yep. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. Being labeled as "shock" doesn't mean anything, it is just for marketing. You use dichlor at the start to raise the CYA level (dichlor contains chlorine and CYA).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.