New borate drop test at piscines-apollo vs. test strip

No one else sells a drop-based borate test that I know of. ProTeam used to make a drop-based kit, but I believe it is discontinued and they only have the test strips now. Yes, the kit from Piscines-Apollo in Canada is $9.99 CAD but the shipping is $13.41 CAD. That's just the way it is -- around $24 for the test kit including shipping.

I haven't seen the thread until now and I will look into it and report back on this thread.

I will add that the LaMotte borate strips seem to be perhaps one of the most troublefree items we carry.

HofstraJet said:
Thanks, Dave. I seem to have trouble distinguishing the colors on the LaMotte borate strips - the colors up to 50 seem pretty close to me. Maybe I just have issues! :D
Dave I second this too. I guess must be getting blind :cry: :cry: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HofstraJet said:
Sounds like a great time for a "free shipping to the US special," especially since the US celebrates Independence Day next week. :-D

There.
Fixed it.
Sort of.
Thre may be a delay when you click the View Basket button, the Canada Post gateway is being rejected by the new firewall, but again, it'll be fixed soon, according to Tech Support.

Happy 4th of July to you, up here July 1st is Canada Day, everything's closed, the weather's gonna be amazing.

Pool time!

it looks like the kit is out of stock, but individual reagent (s-0010 & s-0009) are still available and actually cheaper separately than the kit. is there anything else in the kit besides these to reagents?

edit: i tried to check out to the how much shipping to MA would be and i got this:

The following errors were detected:
Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries.

Hey all,

I got this test delivered last week and I am having a heck of a time getting it to work. It is the first time I have ever had trouble with any pool test.

Here is what I am doing:

1) I am using a test tube that came with my TF-100 test kit to get 44 ml. It almost fills the tube to the top.
2) I add 5 drops of R-0009 and mix with my speedstir.
3) I add 5 drops of S-0009 and mix with my speedstir. Sample turns a very faint yellow-green against a white paper background and also looking down through sample.
4) I start adding R-0010 dropwise. I get to 20 or more drops and there is no change to blue at all. I get very close to overfilling the tube. I've done this three times and am running out of R-0010.

I tried running the test by adding a couple of drops of R-0007 beforehand to neutralize my chlorine. Still can't get sample to change to blue.

Any ideas?

Here is a complete set of my test results from today:

FC 6.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 60
CYA 50
Salt 2600 (From Taylor K-1766, even though we do not have a SWCG, we like the feel of salt)
Cu 0 (From Taylor K-1730)
Fe 0 (From Taylor K-1716)
NH3/NH4+ 0 (From Jungle Labs Quick Dip Aquarium Test Strips)
Water Temp 91 F
Borates ~50 (From LaMotte Test Strips)

I am terrible with color comparisons , especially the Borate test. I was hoping this drop test would be easier to use.

Any Ideas? Thanks

EDIT: Is there a way I can run this test with a smaller sample size and fewer drops to at least see if I can get in the ballpark?

When I do the test, it usually only takes a drop or two of the R-0010 to turn from yellow to blue. Since the S-0009 is an indicator dye, see what happens if you add it to the pool water without adding any R-0009. Pool water should have it look fairly blue unless the pH is significantly below 7.6 and if you added some R-0010 at that point it could turn even more blue. If that isn't happening, then I think there's something wrong with the S-0009 indicator dye. This post goes into more detail about the components of the test.

Hello,

Received my kit today. According to the strips I was between 30 and 50 but couldn't differentiate the colors enough.

I ended doing the test 3 times. First time: Followed the directions and on the fourth step I couldn't get it to turn blue after 20 drops of R-0010. Then I noticed this note: *High chlorine levels may bleach out endpoint. If this happens, dechlorinate sample with 2 drops of Taylor reagent R-0007 prior to testing. I typically run my TC around 5-6.

2nd Test. Added the R-0007 at the beginning. All went well, jumped ahead 6 drops no change, then did a double drop and hit 8 drops at the end nice blue(hmmm, maybe 7 but ok 8). I'll do another test (#3) and be more careful. Borates 35.

3rd Test. Added the R-0007 at the beginning to cancel out the bleaching. All went well, came out with a total of 7 drops. Borates 31.5. The extra drop from the earlier test wasn't needed. OOPS. But close enough.

Overall All I'm impressed with the test. It's pretty easy overall. The price was right with Special shipping rate and there are enough supplies to run quite a few test.

Testing from earlier in the day: TC 5.5, PH 7.8, TA 70, CH 625, CYA 65, Salt 4100, Temp 85

Chem geek points out a good note that it should only take a drop or two of the R-0010 to get it to turn. I think that chlorine levels above 5 may need to add the R-0007 to dechlorinate the sample.

Also having a speed stir make this test much more simple and quicker. I don't have the speed stick, so it add, cap, shake, look, add, cap, shake look.

Good test overall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.