new to pools iron problem

Jun 21, 2011
We have set up our new intex ultra frame 16x48 pool. We have well water with lots of iron, used a filter on hose to fill. Water looked green right away. Started at pool store with bio guard products. Water is clear but still green. Changed filter alot, very orange due to iron. We run our pump almost 24/7, and vacuuming alot. Not much has changed tried Metal Free, that hasn't helped much either. Slight staining at water line but came right off. Test levels are ok. Is it worth buying a sand filter for this pool? Or am I better off draining and seeing if I can have water brought in? Where do I call to get iron free water? FYI- thanks for all the little tricks I have read on this site. Anyone's help is much apprietated, I am at a loss. It took me 3 years to talk my husband into getting a pool, so I need this to work. I feel like I sleep, eat and breathe this pool problem. :cry: Thanks!!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Upgrading to a sand filter will give you a much better filter, but it won't solve the iron problem. Note that dissolved iron causes stains, while iron particles cause orange deposits in the filter. The two often occur together, but are distinct issues. The filter will eventually remove all of the particles, but won't help with dissolved iron.

There are some special filters you can use on a garden hose to reduce, though not eliminate, the iron in the water. They get expensive however.

Metal Free is not one of the recommended sequestrants. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.