Pentair VS+SVRS priming question

Feb 11, 2010
I have had the pump for just over a year. Every time it would turn on, whether by schedule or manually, it would always to go full speed then gradually come down to the required speed.

For the past few weeks when it started up it would go to the RPM setting I have programmed without going to full speed to prime or whatever it is doing. Today it just went back to going to full speed every time it starts.

Any ideas what is going on? My second pump (same exact pump) for the water features always turns on going to the preset speed without going to maximum speed. I would prefer the main pump to work the same way as when the water level in the pool is a little low, full speed causes the near skimmer to suck air on startup and the pump has trouble starting.

I checked the priming settings, they are all set to 0 and 1000 RPM. Water level is full, all skimmers and pool filter are clean.

There are three settings that affect this, prime enabled, prime sensitivity, and maximum speed. It also depends on the pump detecting sufficient flow.

What you describe could be because one of those settings has changed, or it could be related to water temperature or filter dirtiness affecting how much flow the pump senses. When priming the pump goes to 1800 RPM, if there is enough flow it stops there. But if there is not enough flow it ramps up to the set maximum speed.

Thanks Jason,

I am going to play around with the settings and see if I can get it working the way I want.

I am still confused how it started behaving differently when I did not change anything or clean filter, etc. Thinking back, it started acting differently after I put it in service mode to shock the pool for 48 hours or so. And then the operation changed after I put it back in service mode to shock again a few weeks later. Not sure if this has anything to do with the change in operation, but it is the only time I have touched the equipment aside from pushing the standard buttons on remote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.