Hayward pump lid extremely difficult to loosen and tighten

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
Last year I replaced the o ring on my pump lid and lubricated it with some "Lube Tube" from the pool store.

This year I have to put a long bar through the handle to give me some leverage removing it and ended up putting a small crack where the one of the handle mounts into the overall lid. This makes it really difficult to get at the basket (that plus there's apparently a strong vacuum with water going everywhere when I eventually remove it) and was wondering if anyone could recommend something before I end up breaking the whole lid. Thanks!

Re: Hayward pump lid extremely difficult to loosen and tight

You could try opening the air bleed on your filter a little while before opening the lid; that should get rid of any vacuum that may be holding the lid down. Keep in mind they typically don't need to be screwed on very tightly to seal; really cranking it on there will make it that much harder to get it off.

Try to loosen the lid while the pump is running.

I think the lack of filter may be part to the vacuum problem (I just have it going it directly through the pump while I'm waiting on repair parts for my filter). Should water be pushing itself out when the lid is off or will a need to put some shutoff valves on both ends to stop the water from gushing out?

Also, if I can remove it long enough I'll clean and re-lube as well.

If the pump is below water level, water will come out when the lid is off so normally, AG pools will have valves on the skimmer and return lines.

BTW, it is the extra suction of the pump running which makes it easier to loosen the pump lid. Counter intuitive but it does work in some cases.

There should be a valve just before the pump that stops water from the pool from gushing up... you close that before you open the lid. You will also get water from the filter side when you open the lid if you don't close it. (I have the Hayward VariFlo that I place in the 'closed' position before opening the pump lid.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.