Adding Stabilizer

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
Pool company just came out and put in 800lbs of salt to my pool. He said he didn't have time to add the stabilizer but told me to take out the skimmer basket and put it in there a little at at time. No levels have been tested yet as my kit hasn't come in yet and they didn't test either. They left two 10lb pail of haviland stabilizer. Will it be ok just to go ahead and add it like he said to do?

I was told it was a 20x40 true L. When I asked the pool company the gallons they replied "40,000 maybe more". I have the polaris autoclear plus system but it has the error code 94 on it. The pool company was supposed to do everything to get it run but they haven't done squat they said they would.

Well, according to the Pool Calculator, 10 lbs. of cya will increase your CYA to about 43.

This is a little low for a SWG, but going slow with this is a good thing.

ETA: Yep, what WoodyP said and,

It would be very helpful if you add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.
Go to User Control Panel (top left, under TFP logo), select Profile, then select Edit Sig. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They haven't tested squat. They are just going off of experience I guess. They put in 800lbs of salt and the guy came back while I was gone and put in 20lbs of stabilizer. I called the store and she said she didn't want the pool to turn green and for me to go to HD and buy 6 bags of shock to put in it. I've never owned a pool before and now she has me terrified it will be green in the morning.

jsw5620 said:
They haven't tested squat. They are just going off of experience I guess. They put in 800lbs of salt and the guy came back while I was gone and put in 20lbs of stabilizer. I called the store and she said she didn't want the pool to turn green and for me to go to HD and buy 6 bags of shock to put in it. I've never owned a pool before and now she has me terrified it will be green in the morning.
Okay, 20#'s will raise the CYA level to about 86. I suggest you do not add any powder shock, but just get a few large jugs of clorox (bleach, plain unscented 6%) and add one large jug (I think they are 1.42 gallons). That should take care of you for tonight. Have a couple jugs for back-up as needed.

You can get it at WallyWorld, grocery store, etc.

jsw5620 said:
Thank you so much, Butterfly!! I am headed to wallyworld now! The water is municipal water. Just checked the tracking and my test kit should be here Weds. I would love to do the BBB method on this pool.
You're welcome. Got lotsa folks around here to help :)

Don't worry, It will be okay. You know that even if it should turn green, we can help you fix it :mrgreen:

jsw5620 said:
I have no doubt yall can help me through this :cheers:

BTW, how long should I wait before I fire up my SWG? Salt was added 3-4 hours ago and it appears to be dissolved and stabilizer was added around 1.5 hours ago.
Dunno - Need some #'s! I'll let someone else talk about your SWG. I thought you had an error code 94 or something :?

Do you have any type of test kit? We at least need to know some water test #'s before we advise! :)

Did you get that bleach yet?

btw, if anyone tries to add more stabilizer/CYA to your pool, do this to them :hammer: :hammer:

I was getting the error 94 but i pushed the test button on the contoller and it went away and showed it was generating so I turned it off. I am headed back now with the bleach. I dont have any test kits at all. Thats something I was thinking the pool company would have done at least once but I was mistaken lol! I won't let anyone get near it with anymore stabilizer! I asked the pool guy that came today if we should clean the cell, but he said "naw!"

You need to wait about 24 hours with the pump running after the salt was added to turn the swcg on. There could be areas of high salinity that aren't good for the cell if it's generating and it flows through it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.