My main concern is

May 4, 2010
Lincoln, NE
HELP!! Second summer as a pool owner. Swam last night in lovely 85 degree water. Tested and added chlorine. Tonight, went out to check and lost about 6 inches of water. The intake hose to the pump was disconnected and the pump was running away on AIR. The water must have poured out until it went below the skimmer. Found that the return hose (at the pump) looked odd also. It was pulled down further on the hose, but the hose was still attached. I am convinced that I am a victim of vandalism because I find it incredible that the hose would just loosen? Perhaps it could. Two hoses? My main concern is the pump and how long it was sucking air and how FUBAR it will be now. Any advice on how to proceed? Fill it up with water and see or should I do something else first? Thanks.

Someone probably tried to steal your pump.

Fill it up and turn it on and see what happens. If it starts screaming, you need bearings. If it starts squirting water, you need seals.

Makes me glad my pool is up to code, with a high fence and a locked gate!

Check the hose clamps to see if they were loosened. One way to prevent this in the future would be to hard plumb the pump and filter to the pool. Hoses can be problematic over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.