Intex model 5667 sand filter

Mar 4, 2009
Waxahachie, Texas
We just got the Intex model 5667 sand filter from a company on Ebay. The shipment was free and fast. We're hoping to get it set up by this weekend. Is there any advice for setting this up and operating it? Our pool is the 16'x48" Ultra Frame and its has survived 2 years of our abuse and leaving it up during the winter. We never got it clean enough for me last year. Apparently some cardboard blew into it, so there is a lot of cellulose stuff in there. Will the new filter help move and get this stuff out? We drained it most of the way last year, but not all of the junk came out. I'm not sure if we want to drain it or see how the new filter does. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Use a leaf net to scoop out as much solid material as you can. The filter will trap particles suspended in the water, but it will take time to catch them all and it will not pull particles off the floor of the pool. You should be able to run a manual pool vacuum with the new filter/pump combo and pick up the stuff on the pool floor.

Not trying to hijack your tread, but I just ordered one too. I've only dealt with intex cartridge filter pumps all these years and am a little intimidated by the sand filter. I've even looked at the install instructions at Intex and another video of the install on YouTube, but I have a few stupid questions. Do you bleed air out of this pump? Never saw that addressed. And can you leave the drain valve opening uncapped with a hose on it when you are running the pump normally? Obviously, I'm not quite grasping the concept yet. I'm used to closing my inlet and outlet valves before I do anything with the filter or pump, otherwise the entire pool starts emptying. Seems like the 6-way valve on this new pump maybe keeps me from having to do that?

Otherwise, I can't wait to get this thing. Going to make a giant totem pole out of all the old nasty $10 "B" cartridges I have stacked up.

About a month ago, I replaced the stock Intex cartridge filter with the Intex sand filter. Haven't looked back. The pump much moves more water and the filter system "clearly" does a better job of filtering.

Really nothing to it.

When setting it up, take some time to get it located just right so the hoses run smoothly with out sharp bends. Once filled with wand and water, the filter will be heavy. Get the entire assembly on a solid base. I use a couple of large garden tiles from Home Depot.

You fill the filter with POOL sand. Don't use sandbox sand. Go to the pool store and buy pool sand. I used zeosand, which is supposed to provide much finer filtration. Slightly more expensive, but you only buy sand for the filter once in a blue moon.

I leave the cap on the waste port, since I don't leave the backwash hose attached all the time. The six way valve on the top of the filter lets you switch from filter to backwash without worrying about closing the plunger valves. In fact if you do close the plunger valves you have to be careful to open them before you turn on the pump. I've done that a time or two and stood there scratching my head trying to figure out why no water was being circulated.

I do a filter backwash maybe once every two weeks, depending on how much dirt and junk has blown into the pool.

I've also used Fiberclear added to the sand filter.
http://www.fiberclear.net/
Dump several handfuls of fiberclear into the skimmer basket, and it gets sucked into the sand filter. Fiberclear is a cellulose powder. Forms an added very fine filter layer on top of the sand, and really helps clean up dull looking water. One bag of fiberclear lasts for several applications. You can buy it a pool supply store.

After adding fiberclear, run the filter for 24 hours, watching the pressure gauage. When the pressure starts inching up and hits 5psi over normal, backwash. Because of the added filtering action, pressure will go up more quickly than usual, so keep an eye on the pressure gauge.

I'm a happy camper. Definitely would not go back to the cartridge filter.

Once the system is set up and running, you will only rarely have to bleed air. There is a clear pastic top over the leaf basket so you can see if you have an air bubble. If you get a large air bubble that does not go away when the pump is running then you have may a restricted flow somewhere. I had a bunch of leaf and grass nearly blocking the skimmer intake hose that restricted water flow and caused an air bubble. Once I figured that out and cleaned out the blockage, everything was OK.

Aside from that, I don't have to bleed air out of the system.

Unless you are going to add one of the big name brand systems to your pool, the Intex sand filter/pump is a must for any Intex pool. The filtering aspect is 100 times better than any of the other Intex filters. The pump itself is also much better. More water will be circulated and filterd better. You do not need to blead off any air in the filter unless you are getting air in the pump basket. If there is air in the pump basket and won't go away you may have a suction side leak between the pool and the pump or the basket lid is not tight. The pump will alow you to use a manual hose vac because it has much better suction. If you don't have a vac and have pick up all of the big to medium debri all you need to do is keep the smaller to fine particals suspended in the water and the filter will filter them out. Just keep brushing the pool and it will get clean. The below pictures is of my setup and pool water.

pooldeck35.jpg

pooldeck36.jpg

I hope this helps.

:cheers:

Thanks for all the responses. The pump came in shortly after I posted and I was so busy setting it up and then bowing in admiration to it that I forgot to check this thread. Wow, what a difference! Love it and it is getting a lot of the fine dead algae out of my pool that I was going to have to vacuum to waste.

Speaking of vacuums... I still have the original intex floating skimmer and plunger valves on the pool. Haven't gotten fancy with the plumbing just yet. Are any of you vacuuming using the intex "deluxe" vacuum that fits in the skimmer holder? My attempts so far haven't been successful. The pump is really too strong for that thing and it ends up with too much suction and the pump starts getting starved and the pressure goes way down. In another stupid move, I just attached the vacuum hose to the inlet that the skimmer was attached to and turned on the pump. That worked a bit until the leaves clogged up inside the plunger valve. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for all the great advice and input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the replies. I'm the OP. We have the filter set up and it is working great. We are still having water issues. I have finally taken the water to have it tested and I will probably be posting in one of the other forums on it. It will take us another $100 or so in their product to get it going, so I wanted to check in here before we do so. We bought 2 of the 24" concrete tiles from Lowes to put our filter on and it is doing well. Crookm11, I love what you've done with your pool.

This is my second summer with my 16x48 ultra frame. Two weeks ago I upgraded to the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter. The basket connected to the pump will only fill 1/2 way with water. Obviously air is getting in, but I have no idea what to do. My pool was already full of water when I installed the sand filter so I kept the original inlet and outlet nozzles in pool, but connected the new plunger valves. Should I have installed the new inlet/outlet nozzles instead? If so, how do I do that since pool is full? Also, I'm confused about the vacuum release valve. Is it supposed to be opened or closed?

Have you ran the filter at all yet?

first need to add the filter sand to the tank and fill with water too. then install the 6 way valve and hook up the inlet and outlet hoses. After your hoses are connected. connect a hose or whatever to the DRAIN connection on the 6 way valve. set the 6 way valve to backwash and open the twist plungers. the pre pump basket should fill with water and water should start flowing out the drain on the 6 way valve as soon as the pump and filter become full of water. You can now turn on the pump and perform the backwash to clean the new sand, when the water flowing from the drain and the sight glass is clear (some sand is ok) you can now turn the pump off and switch to rinse for about a minute. when your sight glass is clear (no sand) you can turn off the pump switch to filter. turn pump back on, you are now filtering.

the anti-suction valve built into the new twist style plunger valves are designed to open/allow air into system in the event of a restriction on the inlet side (hands, leaves,) it breaks the prime of the pump which reduces the suction. there is no set open or close it is automatic. If your using the "b" adapters to connect to the smaller inlet/outlets it will cause the anti-suction valve to open and allow air into the pump basket.

How do I stop water from draining out of the vacuum release valve. I've tightened it and there is still a constant drain of water coming out. My filter is off - I can't run it because of the lack of pressure and the vacuum release situation. I thought I was OK at this pool stuff, but I've had nothing but trouble since installing my sand filter. I must be doing several things incorrectly.

heres how I did my plumbing :)

intex-18x48-filter-plumbing-upgrade-relocation-project-t65490.html

Those vacuum release valves are pieces of Crud, they even leaked on my old 1500GPH pump and I was constantly getting air in the lines because of it. I would imagine itdd be alot worse due to the much larger amounts of pressure and suction that the larger sand filter puts on the hoses.

What I did was get a tube of black RTV silicone from autozone, shut the pump off and closed the shutoff valves and literally put a glob of it right on the top of both of the release valves. It stopped both the water and air leaks. Give it about 2 hrs to dry before you start the pump again or open the valves.

That should solve your problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.