Partly cloudy after a big pool party

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
Had a big bash for my daughters 7th birthday this weekend. There were between 10 - 15 kids in the pool for 4+ hours plus adults. After the party, I noticed the water wasn't quite as clear. I had to add some water due to splash out but otherwise my numbers all looked good. I tested later that day and my numbers were pretty much where they always have been. The next day we also got some more storms and got quite a bit of debris in the water. I cleared out the debris and the water was just about as cloudy as it was after the party.

My numbers were:

FC - 7 (assumed I might need to shock, so I'm bringing up the level up, currently it's 12 via the SWG since I wasn't here to add liquid chlorine today - tell me if I should stop)
CC - 0
TA - 70
pH - 7.6
CYA - 70

I've been running the pump 24/7 since Saturday with one backwash. The filter pressure hasn't really gone up, and the backwash was fairly clean.

Do I shock? Keep running the filter and wait? It's not a rush to get back to sparkly but would like it to return. It just seems theres some sort of pollen like stuff suspended in the water and I'm not sure how to handle that. My cleaner is out so I'm using a borrowed one that only does the bottom of the pool and I've been netting out the floating debris in the pool daily.

Any other suggestions?

Perform the overnight FC loss test. If you hold your FC overnight, then just keep the filter running. It takes a while 3-7days for the sand filter to "clear" the water. :goodjob:

It's perfectly normal for a large swimmer load to make a pool cloudy. Extra chlorine will cure it.

Sometimes you need to bring it to shock level, sometimes not. Run the pump 24/7 until it clears

Remember that with many of the people wearing sunscreen, there will be a lot of "product" that doesn't dissolve well in water and will cloud it up and/or cause surface films. That just takes time to get moved to the filter and/or broken down (or made more soluble) by chlorine, depending on the specific chemicals involved. This is the main reason why high bather load pools, such as commercial/public pools, have much higher turnover rates.

By know means am I an authority on pools, however I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

We live in a town that is surrounded by water. Most people swim in the river, so the normal activity for our pool is family and a few friends.

Last year we had a big party and as the night winded down I was disappointed to see how cloudy the water was. I shocked that night and put a few ounces of pool water clarifier. I ran the filter 24/7 for the next day or so and it was fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.