Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were off?

rcy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Let's say "theoretically" :oops: someone shut the valves off for his solar supply and return lines, then turned the pump on. The solar lines are directly after the filter, so it would be pump -> filter -> solar. There is a JVA that diverts the water after the filter to the solar panels (if the solar sensor on the roof is 3 degrees warmer than the water temperature). After the JVA is the solar supply line and then a solar return line. Both the solar supply and return lines have manual shut offs. If these were off and the pump ran (for about 3 or 4 mins) where would the pressure build up, and what could potentially be damaged?

Re: Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were o

All the equipment can handle the pressure of a dead head pump so pressure should not be high enough to damage anything. However, if the flow rate was zero, then heat could have built up in the pump and specifically the seals but I doubt it was that significant after only 3 minutes.

Re: Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were o

Thanks. Luckily my next stop after turning the pump on was to clean the skimmer basket. That's when I noticed that there was a distinct lack of skimming going on, and had an 'oh ****' moment.

The flow rate was zero, but I could see water swirling around in the pump, hopefully cooling everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.