32 foot on/in ground pool build in Vermont, Filter/Chlorine Automation

terryking

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2012
West Topsham, Vermont USA
Hi Everyone,

A HUGE thanks to all the people who have put hundreds+ of hours into documenting their builds, their ideas, their troubles and solutions and their optimistic approach for those of us Wanting Desparately to Jump In The Pool!

PoolBuild2017-2018-35.JPG

Here is the link to our build (2017..2018) : http://www.internationalschoolphotos.com/PoolConstruction2017/

I have video I need to edit of my wife and I mixing (me) and wheelbarrowing (her) the 3 yards of concrete for the sidewall bunkers. Happy to say that after a Vermont Winter .. nothing moved an inch!

The pool is this: https://www.propools.com/product/18ft-x-33ft-oval-shape-rockwood-on-ground-pool-kit-without-step--56530/56530

This was a LARGE project,as you can see from the photos. But it's wonderful, and worth the Sweat-With-No-Pool-To-Jump-Into.

Notes: The 230V filter pump is controlled by a 30A relay in the cabin basement and the 12V DC chlorine pump is controlled by a smaller relay that turns on the 12V 2A power supply that feeds it.

I run the Filter 4 hours a day: 2..4 AM and PM. The chlorine pump runs 15 minutes, starting with the filter pump and discharges in front of one of the returns. You can see the dense chlorine coming out in a video.

The automation is part of my very long term home automation system, based on the first version that ran on an IBM AT in 1978. The PASCAL code from that was rewritten in the Arduino C++ environment about 8? years ago and runs on an Arduino MEGA. It gets changed often. All the logic is in code. It runs a lot of stuff besides the pool. For 2 years we had an above-ground pool and black irrigation pipe on the roof, and the Arduino ran that, monitoring the heat exchanger input and output and the pool temperature. We plan to add better solar heat panels later this year and reuse that code. I'm sorry that the system would not be useable for someone wanting to just do pool timing etc. It's big, with many sections. It's commented pretty well, so my 78 year old brain can still get into it and change stuff. If there is an Arduino weenie out there who wants to play with this, email me and I'll send you a ZIP.

As you'll see in my sig I adopted all the TroubleFreePool approaches with Borax, and all that. It works SO WELL. Never any algae, always perfect clarity down to the 7 foot depth, never any "chlorine smell". My Pool Store is Walmart. Oh, I have the Taylor test set. I also use 4-parameter strips every day or so. The Taylor for accurate checkup once a week or so. Free Chlorine is 3 to 5 ppm at all times. pH was balanced with Hcl when the borax went in and has been stable. Alkalinity is fine. Trouble-Free-Pool!

Thanks again for making this such a great project!

Terry, What a bucolic setting for your pool and home!

Seriously impressed with the system even if I don't understand it. Do you have to tap out morse code to tell it to inject chlorine? LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Maddie :flower:

Do you have to tap out morse code to tell it to inject chlorine?

The usual chlorine injection is automatic. We call the computer "Oley" because of his Swedish-Like vocal accent. His cousin Sven was the old home automation guy; the voice output was an IBM Voice Communications Adapter on an IBM AT. This is the text-to-speech algorithm that Stephen Hawkings used.

The Morse Code thing is based on experiments I did WAY back on a system that had a human interface that was extremely simple: just a single switch for input (with multiple paralleled switches around the house) and voice output on a couple of speakers. I have kept that as the main human interface on the Home Automation system. Now it has THIS Text to Speech module.

So I can lie in bed in the dark with my eyes closed, reach for the little button, and control the system. It can tell me temperatures etc etc. I can turn outside lights on, etc. And a morse "C" will turn on the chlorine pump :)

My kids learned the letters for what they wanted. Grandchildren learned the first letter of their name so they could hear "Oley" talk to them.

Nerds can be dangerous if left unattended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.