Suction Side Air Leak - Goes Away when I adjust Valve

fwoz

May 15, 2008
I have a 4 year ol inground pool that developed a small air leak coming into the Hayward Super Pump. I checked all gaskets etc. Even had my pool man replace my older seperate skimmer and main drain PVC valves with a new common Jandy valve and new fittings into pump.
When pool pump starts there is a small air leak - basket stays mostly full with some air blowing through.
If I move the valve from balanced to full main drain then to full skim and back to balance the air leak goes away. No problem with pump sart and pump basket stays solid overnight.
Seems like the skimmer line is the one that leaks as main drain runs almost solid when selected.
Any thoughts as to what may be happening. Any suggestions?
I would rather not have to run a new skimmer line.

Thanks in advance ,

Fred.

Check the weir in the skimmer for proper operation. It should move freely and not stick at all.
Is the water level in the skimmer high enough?
Check for the skimmer creating a vortex and sucking air in.

Thanks for your reply. All items at skimmer previously checked and OK.
One additional detail - Pump strainer basket cover will burp some water when pump is shut off. Already tried two new gaskets with proper lube.

Thanks,

Fred.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.