Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Checkout this Cool Pool Invention From a Crazy Aussie!

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Checkout this Cool Pool Invention From a Crazy Aussie!

HI Guys,

I know this guy is probably not
    crazy, but he has certainly invented
    something pretty cool!

I was watching a show on TV called
    the new inventors and this guy had this
    crazy little contraption called the "Pool Boy".

It's not even in production yet but I bet
    you will probably see it in the future.

Here's the link to his invention
    http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/bail ... 0Intro.htm

Remember...you saw it here first

Take Care,

Michael Silvester

2. Back To Top    #2
    This was really interesting and Pool Boy looks like a winner. But, when I got to the survey that asked "How much would you be willing to pay?" and the options were $500 to $900? That would not fit anywhere in my pool budget.

I wish him luck with his invention.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    I am always appreciative of folks willing to take the risk of a new product. I never got as far as the price.

To collect surface debris, you'll need horsepower to move the water.....a lot of it in a large pool. The device appears to me to be small and, therefore, ineffective at moving much water to entrap the debris. Maybe a 16' Round pool would be okay but I would question it's ability to handle anything much larger.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Kind of like this one:

http://www.poolskim.com/

But this one is much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-POOLSKIM-Lea ... dZViewItem
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Kind of like this one:

http://www.poolskim.com/

But this one is much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-POOLSKIM-Lea ... dZViewItem

i wish i knew if that guy shipped to the us, i am ready to buy now, i spend 2 hours, CLEANING, SKIMMING, AND UN CLOGING THE FILTER, FULL OF LEAVES.

6. Back To Top    #6

Rollin Thunder,

I couldn't find the PoolSkim at any of the normal pool stores. I ended up having to call/e-mail the US distributor. It ended up being no big deal. I paid $75 plus $15 for shipping.

http://www.poolskim.com/distributors.htm

YNBC Marketing
    Jan Piazza

1074 Briarcliffe Blvd
    Wheaton, IL 60187
    Tel: 630-665-8790
    Fax: 630-665-2335
    Mobile: 1-630-263-4150

email: poolskimusa@aol.com

Good luck.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

7. Back To Top    #7
    thanks for the info, i sent them an e-mail. hope for a good responce.

8. Back To Top    #8
    I'd love to hear a review.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the idea of contacting PoolSkim directly. I did so, and the price ended up being $75 plus $15 for shippping, for a total of $90.

My pool is set up such that 4 returns go into the pool and a fifth return, on the tailend of the return line, goes to the spa. For various reasons (farthest away from steps and debris seems to collect there), I wanted to attach the PoolSkim to the fourth pool return fitting, which is the last pool return before the return goes to the spa. This didn't work because when I removed the eyeball fitting and attached the PoolSkim, this removed too much backpressure and ended up starving all of the water from the spa return line. Literally the spa return line went completely dry.

So I ended up attaching the PoolSkim to the first pool return. I am probably a complete geek, but this gadget is too cool in action. The amount of suction created by this little gadget is incredible. And watching it work from underwater is cool too in that the PoolSkim looks like a mini vortex or tornado in action.

The pool was pretty clean from debris (unusual, unfortunately) so I tossed a small handful of pine needles (my main pool debris) near the PoolSkim. Dang it if the darn thing didn't grab 99% of the debris within a minute or so. Very impressive. It appears to do a better job of cleaning up debris than the "real" skimmer.

Hopefully I will know in a day or so how much additional debris it will remove from the pool under real world conditions. So far, I am optimistic that the PoolSkim will dramatically reduce my netting labor.

One concern that I have is that my two little monkeys are going to damage this thing while they are in the pool playing. Does anyone routinely remove their PoolSkim from the pool while the pool is in use?
    I am just as happy today as when I first installed it several months ago. The pool surface is dramatically cleaner than before.

Now when I want to swim, I use the pool brush to brush the debris clinging to the side of the pool while at the same time doing a "sweeping" motion (like a broom) at the debris on the surface aiming it toward the PoolSkim. This might take all of 2-5 minutes and I have 99% of the surface debris caught in the PoolSkim.

Compare this to a good 20-30 minutes (at least) of trying to scoop up surface debris with the skimmer net. And even then I would be LUCKY to get 75-80% of the surface debris.

I am even considering getting a second one for an area of the pool where debris tends to collect due to circulation and wind patterns.

The only downside so far is that occasionally the PoolSkim will become dislodged from the return, thus gong for its own little swim. This appears to be happening because of the copious bubbles that come out while the solar system is purging and priming itself. And this isn't probably the fault of the PoolSkim itself, but rather because I am using a return fitting that merely "slips" into the return pipe. I'm sure if I bought a new slip fitting then it would fit tighter. or maybe even just wrapping the outside of the slip fitting with some electrical tape.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

10. Back To Top    #10
    i was kinda worried about the back pressure, the only way i get some movement out of my returns is to plug one and have a tiny one in the steps. im going to change the one with the most pressure and i think the pool skim will more than surfice for the returns not being pointed up.