I think the problem is algae

Kit came today. My first testing was fun, though swimming would be funner!

I know it's late...been in Memphis all day. Was unable to continually add bleach throughout the day as I have been, so the following fc number will be low compared to the level I have been trying to keep my water at. I am actually glad to see that it is still this good though considering that my pool is in full sun almost all day, the temps have been in 90s for days, and I haven't added chlorine since 6 am.

Fc. 3.0
Cc. 0.5
Tc. 3.5
Ta 110 (never turned exactly red, but a shade of magenta maybe?)
Ch. 110
Cya. 20 (repeated because pool store results were questionable)

Going to add bleach now, but will wait for further instructions before adding other things. I know the pool calculator is here for me, but with my numbers out of whack, I thought I better trust
some pros until I get this cloudy water clear.

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Cheryl

22500 AG vinyl sand filter 1.5 hp pump

Good morning, Cheryl,

Ditto what Jason said about your pool, have someone come look at that. Meanwhile look around your equipment pad for a water leak (both pump running and not running).

I like your first set of numbers and I REALLY like your grasp of the concept of BBB. Keep your FC up higher still (around 12ppm), run your pump 24/7, clean your filter often, remove any more solids.

Last, go ahead and get more CYA in your pool.....enough to raise it to 40ppm. Post back if you need help with the dose calculation.

You are on a good path to crystal clear water. Chlorine and lots of cleaning and filtration will be the key.

Good morning to all,

Oops, I forgot to post my pH value of 6.8. From what I have read, I have to get that up. Since my TA looks high to my newbie eye (hey that rhymes), I went out this morning and pointed the eyeball up so water is splashing. Pool school says aeration takes longer to raise pH. Should I go with the borax instead?

Cheryl
Kenton, TN

22500 AG sand filter vinyl liner 1.5 hp pump

The eyeball may not have the desired effect. Vigorous aeration is usually required to move the pH quickly.

I would say your case is borderline between aeration and 20 Mule Team. If your pH is truly 6.8, that's not an EMERGENCY but it needs to be solved.

20 Mule Team will solve it in 30 minutes and aeration may take days, depending on how vigorous it is. Personally, I would use the 20 mule team and solve it now.

I accidentally dropped a bleach lid in the water this afternoon about 3 hours ago. It is still floating...has not been pulled into the skimmer. Pressure hovers around 12 psi, which is usual. Great flow coming out of the eye, I've backwashed twice today. The lid has moved to the center of the pool, and it seems to be floating with no movement.

Do I have a circulation problem?

Cheryl

22500 AG sand 1 year old 1.5 hp

Thanks Butterfly...I kept adjusting the eyeball until the ld went into the basket. I didn't realize hoe much effect the eyeball direction had.

Results at 5:30 am:

FC. 15
CC. .05
TC. 15.5
pH. 7.2 - 7.5
TA. 120
CH. 100
CYA. 40

FC only dropped .05 since 8:00 pm, so I cleared that hurdle. Going to hold shock level between 16 and 20 today. Water is pretty shade of blue, but it has been for days. No change in clarity for several days. Been sticking a yellow handled broom in to see how far I can see to the bottom. I can see it until it gets about a foot from the bottom.

Do I need to add some DE at the skimmer? What about the clarifier I read about in someone's post?

How much longer do I need to keep brushing the sides? Either have to get in the pool or move a ladder around the entire 30' diameter in order to reach good. With shock level so high, I'm not getting in...so it's the ladder til someone says it's ok to stop.

Thanks again,
Cheryl
Kenton, TN

22500 AG sand filter 1 year old 1.5 hp pump

Oops, still getting used to this iPad, and I see some mistakes that really bother me.

The lid went in the skimmer, not the ld.

How, not hoe...

CC 0.5 not .05 ( hey cleared that hurdle too) two out of three ain't bad. Meatloaf anyone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What to do now...?

Got the water clear enough to see the bottom, but still just a hair cloudy. Still trying to keep water at shock level. Results just now were:

FC. 17.5
CC. 0
pH. 7.5
TA. 90
CH. 100
CYA. 38ish

Today I went to pool store that installed the pool last year to let them know about possible leak due to ground by plumbing being mushy all the time and big "trench" on pool floor next to the area where plumbing is.

They told me to turn everything off, mark water level inside skimmer with a pencil so they can see how much water I am losing. I really don't know how much i've lost because I have backwashed
so much. I figured any loss was due to that.

Is the water going to turn green again? It is about 85 degrees, cloudy, and rain in forecast.

Add more bleach, then turn it off?

Cheryl
Kenton, TN

22500 AG sand 1.5hp

Yep, I agree with you - add more bleach. In fact, I'd hit shock level (or perhaps a little more), circulate for an hour and then turn it off.

And yes, It might turn green again if they don't hurry up! :hammer:

If your water is still slightly cloudy, we don't consider the shocking process completed.

You are doing a great job :goodjob:

Re: How many 3" tabs?

Fell this morning...on crutches next few days. Friends coming over in a few minutes. How many 3" tabs do I need to have them drop in skimmer? Last test was last night. CYA was just under 40. FC was 17.5.

Cheryl

22500 AG sand 1.5 hp

The pump was off 24 hours at the request of pool installers checking for main drain leaks. It's back on now, and I will definitely leave it on. Thanks for your quick reply!

The fall...got up to pee, and my right leg forgot what it was supposed to do. It was a wet noodle. Not sure why. Anyway, swollen, bruised foot. It'll be ok in a couple days. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.