help I am confused

May 30, 2011
Hi I am new to all this so help please.....

I have a 10000 gal above ground pool,we have used baquacil for the last 4 years but last year was horrible with Baquacil and got to be very expensive. So this year I want to convert to chorline or anything inexpensive ( I am in between jobs so the cheapest way is the best)

I had to drain pool this year due to a storm damaging the liner we have it patched and are ready to begin refilling but I have no idea where to start I do use a sand filter and the sand was replaced when I closed the pool down last year so it is fairly new. Also I live in southeat missouri where it often gets 115 with the heat index so algae tends to be a problem.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

I recommend switching to chlorine. It will be much less expensive. If you do switch to chlorine, you need to go through the conversion process. See this article in Pool School for instructions. The conversion process is a pain, but once it is complete your pool will sparkle like you have never seen before and chemical costs will be much lower.

I have completely drained my pool. So right now we are refilling with water that is Baquacil free. So if I clean and change my filter sand before I even begin the chemical process should I treat it like a new pool open?

I had no choice but to drain my pool was damaged during a storm

DO to refilling I thought this would be the perfect time to convert and I am really interested in the BBB method because he seems to be the least expensive.

If you have already drained, I would go ahead and change the sand. Even when you refill with fresh water, you will likely still have some shocking to do since it is virtually impossible to get every drop of the baq water out of the system. It will be much easier for you though.

I'd do it the other way around, chlorine before replacing sand. You should still get rid of any baqa residual in the plumbing. Follow all of the steps of the conversion process in order. Because you drained the whole process will go very quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.