Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Algae dead but pool water will not clear.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58

    Algae dead but pool water will not clear.

    Hi Guys my first post

    Over a 2 week period I used 140Ltrs bleach 12.5% to bring my pool from a disgusting swamp to an aqua blue. Now I cannot get the water to clear. I can see the bottom of the pool but it is still cloudy. There is also a white film on the pool walls that transfers to my fingers when I rub it. It is now three weeks since I killed the Algae. PH 7.6 FC 3 TA 80 CYA N/A.

    I ran the filter 24/7 and after 2weeks cut back to 6hours per day and I have been backwashing and brushing everyday.

    Any suggestions?

    Mark
    ps Great site.
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Guest
    first of all WELCOME,

    you should run the filter more to clear it up faster, you can scale back once its clear, they also make a water clarifier that i have used in the past and it works really well, i forget the name because i only had to use it when opening.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    28,409
    Hi, Mark,

    Why no CYA in your pool? Without it, it is almost impossible to retain a chlorine residual for sanitation and may well be allowing the algae to not quite all be killed.

    Post back why you have no CYA.....there may be a reason I'm overlooking but I suspect that's your biggest problem.....allowing the chlorine to repeatedly get too low to be effective.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, Mark,

    Why no CYA in your pool? Without it, it is almost impossible to retain a chlorine residual for sanitation and may well be allowing the algae to not quite all be killed.

    Post back why you have no CYA.....there may be a reason I'm overlooking but I suspect that's your biggest problem.....allowing the chlorine to repeatedly get too low to be effective.
    Hi Dave
    I cannot test for CYA, and the pool shop is closed Sunday.There maybe some CYA but I suspect it would be very low. What should my CYA be? SWCG manual suggests 40-80 and up to 100 in hotter climates.
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    28,409
    Hi, Mark,

    I overlooked the fact that you have an SWG...sorry. However, that gives me a new question....How did your water get green and swampy? Was the SWG off? As for level of CYA, do what the manufacturere recommends but you need to get your water tested to find out if you have any CYA at all.

    Give us a little more history on your situation....I still suspect low chlorine residual but a little info as to how the pool got swampy will probably help a lot.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, Mark,

    I overlooked the fact that you have an SWG...sorry. However, that gives me a new question....How did your water get green and swampy? Was the SWG off? As for level of CYA, do what the manufacturere recommends but you need to get your water tested to find out if you have any CYA at all.

    Give us a little more history on your situation....I still suspect low chlorine residual but a little info as to how the pool got swampy will probably help a lot.
    I switched everything off over winter. A big mistake!!!!
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  7. Back To Top    #7
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    It is very important to know your CYA level. With a SWG I recommend CYA between 60 and 80. That will extend the life of your SWG cell and still be low enought to keep algae under control.

    Another thing to look at is the filter. Perhaps you have killed all the algae but the filter isn't filtering effectively. Have you backwashed the filter in the last two weeks? If not you should do so now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is very important to know your CYA level. With a SWG I recommend CYA between 60 and 80. That will extend the life of your SWG cell and still be low enought to keep algae under control.

    Another thing to look at is the filter. Perhaps you have killed all the algae but the filter isn't filtering effectively. Have you backwashed the filter in the last two weeks? If not you should do so now.
    Hi Jason
    I backwash daily. After dealing with the swamp a daily backwash is an easy chore. I have been filtering through the pool cleaner as the water level is below the skimmer box. The skimmer box is currently under repair so I guess I don't have the usual volume of water being filtered I think I need to increase the filters running time. What do you think?

    Mark
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  9. Back To Top    #9
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    Yes, a longer pump/filter run time will help. But I think there must be something beyond that going on.

    A sand filter should be able to clear the water in seven to ten days at most as long as nothing is growing in the water. That suggests that either you haven't killed everything or there is some issue with the filter. Have you checked to see if your FC level holds overnight with the SWG off? That is a very reliable test for something growing in the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, a longer pump/filter run time will help. But I think there must be something beyond that going on.

    A sand filter should be able to clear the water in seven to ten days at most as long as nothing is growing in the water. That suggests that either you haven't killed everything or there is some issue with the filter. Have you checked to see if your FC level holds overnight with the SWG off? That is a very reliable test for something growing in the water.
    Hi Jason
    Pool Shop water analysis TC.5 FC 0 PH 7.8 TA 150 CYA 0 SALT 4570
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Not Jason, but I can see two major things, and a minor one.
    First thing is chlorine. Get some in there either with your SWG or preferably some bleach. If you have some dichlor or trichlor lying around, you can use that, because...

    the second thing is your CYA. Especially with an SWG you need to get that up to what is recommend in the instructions for your SWG. Usually around 80.

    The minor thing is your pH. If you get that down to 7.2-ish, your chlorine will work better.

    Ok, now for Jason's answer...

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  12. Back To Top    #12
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    The crucial issue is the CYA. With CYA of zero there is no way the SWG can keep up with loss from sunlight, so FC is going to go to zero every day. That means there is sure to be something growing in the water and no way for the filter to keep up even if it is working perfectly.

    You need to get your CYA level up ino the 60-80 range. Once you do that it will be possible to kill off all the algae once and for all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    So first I get my CYA up then I shock with bleach again?
    Thankyou Guys
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  14. Back To Top    #14
    AnnaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,132
    I just recently cleared up my jade green swamp by keeping the chlorine level at somewhere between 28 and 35 ppm. I can't be more specific because I didn't have a proper test kit at the time. I ran the pump 24/7 for five days straight. The colour went from deep green to turquoise to blue within four days. It stayed blue but there was a definite cloudy haze - the dead algae.

    Today is actually Day 10 and the water's appearance is back to normal with a nice clean sparkle to it. Now I'm letting the chlorine level drop and am running the pump on its night time cycle again.

    It takes a while to clean up really green water. Killing the algae is easy. Getting their remains out is what takes time and patience.

    Anna
    — AnnaK —

    12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Aussie Battler
    So first I get my CYA up then I shock with bleach again?
    Thankyou Guys
    You can do these simultaneously. CYA takes up to a week to dissolve, and if you leave the pool with 0 FC you will be fighting a swamp again. Use Jason's calculator (in my signature) to help you figure out how much CYA and bleach you will need. Add less than the recommended amount of CYA. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return, if possible. Or a sock in the skimmer. Retest in a week, and add more if needed.

    Meanwhile, keep your FC up by adding bleach daily.

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    [quote=The Mermaid Queen]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Little Aussie Battler":ynb67wi8
    So first I get my CYA up then I shock with bleach again?
    Thankyou Guys
    You can do these simultaneously. CYA takes up to a week to dissolve, and if you leave the pool with 0 FC you will be fighting a swamp again. Use Jason's calculator (in my signature) to help you figure out how much CYA and bleach you will need. Add less than the recommended amount of CYA. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return, if possible. Or a sock in the skimmer. Retest in a week, and add more if needed.

    Meanwhile, keep your FC up by adding bleach daily.[/quote:ynb67wi8]
    Thanks Guys
    I have gone to FC 12 with no addition of CYA. I have found that putting higher numbers of CYA into the pool calculator requires higher FC levels. Am I correct in doing this?
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Aussie Battler
    [
    Thanks Guys
    I have gone to FC 12 with no addition of CYA. I have found that putting higher numbers of CYA into the pool calculator requires higher FC levels. Am I correct in doing this?
    Yes, the higher the CYA, the higher the FC you need to be effective. While the CYA keeps the FC in the pool, and not burned off by the sun, it also hinders the effectiveness of the FC, so that you need more FC to be effective.

    You need to check your SWG manual for the amount of CYA it recommends, get that amount in your pool, and keep your FC at the proper level using the pool calculator.

    For now you probably still need to be shocking with bleach, unless your water has cleared...

    Is your water clearing? Are you keeping your FC at about 10 to ensure the buggers are dead? Is this the start of your swimming season?

    so many questions, so little time!!

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    [


    Yes, the higher the CYA, the higher the FC you need to be effective. While the CYA keeps the FC in the pool, and not burned off by the sun, it also hinders the effectiveness of the FC, so that you need more FC to be effective.

    You need to check your SWG manual for the amount of CYA it recommends, get that amount in your pool, and keep your FC at the proper level using the pool calculator.

    For now you probably still need to be shocking with bleach, unless your water has cleared...

    Is your water clearing? Are you keeping your FC at about 10 to ensure the buggers are dead? Is this the start of your swimming season?

    so many questions, so little time!!
    Do I run the SWG as per normal while I am shocking with bleach?



    The water looks clearer than it was yesterday but I will keep the FC up around 10 Is this our swimming season? Well we had 35 degrees yesterday and there were a couple of human bodies splashing around in the pool. I hope you are not jealous Mermaid?


    Mark
    ps thanks for the info
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Regarding running your SWG, I really do not know. I do not think it would hurt it.
    not too jealous, just trying to get a handle on this 'other side of the world' thing!
    If I convert correctly, your pool is like a bathtub!! (95F) or a hot tub!

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    Regarding running your SWG, I really do not know. I do not think it would hurt it.
    not too jealous, just trying to get a handle on this 'other side of the world' thing!
    If I convert correctly, your pool is like a bathtub!! (95F) or a hot tub!
    It was a tad warm but that was the air temp. Today we are around (20C) and 19C in the pool. Mid 20's is
    normal for this time of year. It starts getting warmer from now on. Late Dec through Jan and Feb are
    normally the hottest months:- high 20's to mid 30's. I agree this global community thing is hard to get
    your head around but it's all a bit of fun.

    The pool is definitely looking clearer today. I better go and dose it up.
    cheers
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

    21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •