Need some guidance, brown water

May 25, 2011
South Pekin, Central IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just registered today with TFP, and need some guidance. Got a neighbors pool for free last fall, set it up couple of weeks ago. I know the pool is probably 5-6 yrs old, but the prior owners that put it in originally took pristeen care of it while they lived there, so its only been mistreated and allowed to go algae green for the past 3 summers.

I had an 18ft easy set intex pool for about 5 yrs, and did fine with keeping it clear, no problems, then pitched it in 2007 because had to keep inflating the ring every couple days and couldn't find the holes (think it was from birds claws landing on it, impossible to find/fix).

I'm a little unsure with having a skimmer now, and need to find the manual on the Hayward pump/sand filter so I know all the ins and outs of running it, using it properly and keeping it maintained, etc. but feel confident I will figure it out, now that I've found this forum :goodjob:

I filled it up with city water thru the hose, and we have a lot of metals in our water, as every time in the past when the chlorine or shock hits it, it turns muddy brown color. Local pool shop suggested Revive, so several days ago before I had the pump hooked up and running, I put it in. Sunday, we hooked up the pump, and skimmed the leaves/bugs off the top that had accumulated. There were little brown shadows on the bottom of the pool floor, and the pool store said it was the Revive reacting to the metals pooling them so I could vacuum them out. So Tuesday we ran the pump, hooked up the vacuum and I vacuumed the pool floor. It became cloudier the more I did, prolly because it stirred it up. After I was done, I put the pool store bag of Booster shock in, mixed in a bucket of pool water and poured around the perimeter. And wouldn't ya know it, this morning YEP its muddy brown. They told me the Revive would prevent that, guess not. Knew I needed MetalFree, just as in the past.

So I used a pool store test strip and the PH and TA was off the color chart, so at his suggestion, I added 1/2 a gallon or so of muriatic acid around the perimeter of the pool, and checked it again 2 hrs later bringing a sample of water to the pool store. That brought all the levels to more normal #'s he said. They are as follows:
TC 2.6
FC 2.6
PH 7.6
TA 135 he said this was a little high, but allright for now
Calcium Hardness 325 (normal is 200 - 400)
CYA 20 (this is stabilizer, right?)

He sold me a bottle of MetalFree and told me to pour 3/4 of it around the perimeter, and wait till tomorrow, and we'll check with the test strips again to go from there.

The water was a bit cloudy after vacuuming before it turned brown after the shock overnight. I don't know how old the sand is in the filter. Was unsure if it was ok after going green 3 summers in a row, so opened it up expecting it to be slimy, green and nasty foul smelling, but surprisingly it wasn't. Just some small leaf debris but still white sand, albeit a little more coarser looking not as fine.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Shell

Welcome to TFP!

You clearly have iron in the water. You need more sequestrant. MetalFree is not one of the recommended sequestrants. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

The Revive isn't doing anything useful, simply making the water cloudy.

This would all be simpler if you had your own top quality test kit.

Water is still brown today, not much change. I cleaned out the skimmer basket because we had quite the thunderstorm last evening, and there was all kinds of leaves, etc clogging it up. I also backwashed a couple minutes or so until the brown water coming out went clear. Confused on the gauge readings though - before I backwashed it read 30, was down to about 20 or so while backwashing, then after water ran clear, I turned it off, spun it back to filter and turned it back on. It read about 27. Is that right?? Shouldn't it have been down lower?
Also, I now have new debris on the bottom due to the t-storm. Should I vacuum again? Anything else I should be doing?

A clean filter pressure of 27 on an above ground pool is quite high. The filter might be clogged in some way, but most likely the gauge is broken. Those gauges break fairly regularly. Fortunately, they are inexpensive to replace.

It is always good to vacuum up what you can, but also no need to vacuum every day. If it is easier to wait a day or two, then by all means clean it up later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.