Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White flakes in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

White flakes in pool

These strange white flakes appeared in my pool this weekend. Does anyone know if this is algae or mold or is it more likely something windblown. A friend of mine noticed the same thing in his pool over the weekend so I'm wondering if it's something falling from trees but I don't want to take any chances. The stuff is hard to capture in your hand, it just kind of dissolves. Here are my numbers and some pics. Sorry about the picture quality but it was all I could do just to get it to show up in the pictures. As always, I appreciate any help I can get on this.

FC - 3 (I added bleach to take it back to 6ppm which is where I have been keeping the chlorine level)
    CC - 0
    TA - 60
    CH - 40
    CYA - 35
    PH - 7.4

Thanks,

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl
    TR60 Sand Filter, Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    Blue Pearl robotic cleaner

Burlington, North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Can't see your pictures, but white flakes that dissolve when you try to pick them up sounds like calcium precipitating out of solution. Except your CH is at 40. I can't imagine anything precipitating with such low CH and TA and good pH.

If your numbers are trustworthy, I think I'd just up the filter run time and run the pool cleaner or vacuum a little extra.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks JohnT for the lightning quick response. Is anyone else having troubel viewing the pics? Maybe I did something wrong.

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4
    Any chance it's undissolved cya (stabilizer)? That stuff is really slow to dissolve. Looks kind of big in the picture to be that though - more granular.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I haven't added CYA since last fall except through the use of a few pucks on opening this year. To respond to JohnT, the numbers are from the Taylor K2006 test kit and have been repeated with the same calcium numbers so I think they're accurate. Part of my nervousness about this stuff came from a post at PF where someone identified a similiarly described substance as white mold. I've been diligent about not letting the FC get below 3ppm and normally closer to 6 so I hope the environment hasn't been there to allow mold to grow but I've seen enough algae posts to know that you can never be too cautious or proactive.

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TarheelPool
    Thanks JohnT for the lightning quick response. Is anyone else having troubel viewing the pics? Maybe I did something wrong.

Kevin
    No, you didn't do anything wrong. There's some peculiarity to Photobucket, and I can't always see it. ISP issue.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TarheelPool
    IPart of my nervousness about this stuff came from a post at PF where someone identified a similiarly described substance as white mold. I've been diligent about not letting the FC get below 3ppm and normally closer to 6 so I hope the environment hasn't been there to allow mold to grow but I've seen enough algae posts to know that you can never be too cautious or proactive.

Kevin
    Although I've never seen white mold, I've heard that it doesn't like sunlight. The PF posts I've read tend to describe it as more like tissue than flakes. If it was my pool, I'd be checking places like the bottom of the ladder to see if it is slimey. White mold grows as a slimey coating on pool surfaces, and what you see out in the water is what has broken loose. The bottom of the ladder steps are good, protected, sunlight-free areas that would be prime white mold growing spots.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8
    My guess would be some sort of pollen. We have had a weird winter, a strange spring. The plants have no idea what the heck is going on. One thing you did not mention was if the flakes were on the surface or suspended in the water. Let us know.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

9. Back To Top    #9
    I'll check the sunlight protected places and see if I can find anything.

divnkd101 - The flakes are floating on the surface. Not suspended in the water at all as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl

10. Back To Top    #10

I woke up this morning and checked on the pool and am seeing the exact same stuff floating on the top of my pool. the same type of "stuff" has coated my car overnight so I also believe this is airborn.
    26000 Gallon Vinyl in ground pool
    1.5 HP Pump
    Sand Filter (with a bit of DE)
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWCG

But I like driving to the lake!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Getting the same thing here in Virginia. Must be from the trees.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: White flakes in pool

Same here in Georgia. Running the pump and skimming, and hosing out the skimmer (sock) keeps it in check. It's getting better by the day.
    New at pools. 23k Gallon pool - 36x17 ft grecian, vinyl. Pentair TA60 sand filter with new valve. Hayward superpump. Booster pump for Polaris 280C.