Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's largest pool

1. Back To Top    #1

World's largest pool

Check out these pics of the world's largest pool! I can't imagine how much chlorine they must go through!!

Here is the website: http://spluch.blogspot.com/2007/10/worl ... -pool.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33' x 54" AG 29,000 gal, 1.5 HP Hayward Pump, Cartridge Filter, Pool Rover Robot, devoted follower of the BBB method!

2. Back To Top    #2
    WOW ,
    cost 2 BILLION to build and fill and 2 MILLION every six months for maintenance.

492 ftX 338 ft

trying to find how many gallons but, i dont believe the depth, "transparent to 35 meters" thats like 115 feet that cant be right.

whats cool it the hotels have little pockets that form smaller pools, and even have covers, wonder how many MD's returns, skimmers, and pumps that thing needs, does it have a PeterBuild desil engine driving the pumps.

TIME TO MOVE AGAIN

3. Back To Top    #3
    It's even bigger than Rollin Thunder's pool
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    do the life guards need boats to get around, wonder if they use DONZI'S, , i think is cool if you dont like the ocean water.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    My bet is they have at least three skimmers...maybe four!!

Putting on the winter cover has got to be a real PITA!.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Yeah! And the skimmer net pole must weigh a ton!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7
    you know im going to plan a trip down there and get my own pictures that will never work everyone will say DADDY WE WANNA GO TO DISNEY WORLD for the 16th time in a row.

8. Back To Top    #8

The link states 250,000 Cubic meters of water. This equates to 66,250,000 gallons! Let's see, with a few Pool Pilot units, that would need 1,650,000 lbs of salt!

RT, make that TWO tickets!
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
    , i dont believe the depth, "transparent to 35 meters" thats like 115 feet that cant be right. . .
    I'm betting it's a typo, and it should be "3.5 meters."
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

10. Back To Top    #10
    If it was 35 meters deep, one wave and the whole thing would probably pop up from the pressure of such a 'high water table'!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    The link states 250,000 Cubic meters of water. This equates to 66,250,000 gallons! Let's see, with a few Pool Pilot units, that would need 1,650,000 lbs of salt!

RT, make that TWO tickets!
    according to my trusty imac converter i converted 250,000 cubic meaters to us gallons and got 66,043,013

12. Back To Top    #12

eh....what's a couple of hundred thousand gallons between friends?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

13. Back To Top    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    eh....what's a couple of hundred thousand gallons between friends?

depends on what the liquid is

now does that salt go in the pool or on the rim of the glass

14. Back To Top    #14

That is one amazing pool. I'm not sure if bigger is always better ? I looked at the links where they were going to build some of those pools. Why build something that big if its going to be next to the ocean? Maybe oceans aren't that great? I've never seen one before. Biggest water I've seen are the Great Lakes. It would be interesting to know how they keep that water sanitized. Since belonging to this group hotel pools creep me out! Kim
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I was trying to find out how this pool works, in doing so, it states that the water is tranparent to 35meters, which doesnt necessarity mean it is 35 meters deep, they are just talking about visibility. Here are the people that built it.

http://www.crystal-lagoons.com/home.html

Apparently its sanitized differently than traditional filtration systems, and uses 100 times less chemicals.
    Its pretty secretive because I can't find any more into on how it works, but I would bet that its not BBB.

16. Back To Top    #16
    Imagine doing a lap in that pool.
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.

17. Back To Top    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    Apparently its sanitized differently than traditional filtration systems, and uses 100 times less chemicals.
    sounds like the same thing the pool store said to me about baqua...

Quote Originally Posted by krcossin
    Um, thank you, no.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

18. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    sounds like the same thing the pool store said to me about baqua...

Quote Originally Posted by krcossin
    Um, thank you, no.
    i would, i could do all my excercise in one lap that takes me 40 laps here.

19. Back To Top    #19

On the History tab on this page they also say that they use a "pulse-based disinfection method". Usually, this refers to UV disinfection using intense pulsed UV light. This not only kills pathogens, but if intense enough will also breakdown organics. The reason it is pulsed is so it can have enough intensity to penetrate through a full pipe width of water since constant UV gets cut down in intensity significantly from organics in the water closest to the UV source. This blog talks more about it and it sounds like this is an ocean salt water pool -- that is, VERY high in salinity, just like the ocean so around 10 times the salinity of a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pool.

I strongly suspect that there is virtually no residual disinfectant used in this lagoon-style pool. Their "projects in development" on the Developments tab listed Chile, Argentina, Panama, Dubai and Spain and though they listed the U.S. generically, they did not give a specific project location. The potential project of Archiplan in Spain would be the only one in the E.U. If they get approval for that, then I suspect it will be treated as an artificial lagoon rather than a swimming pool -- that is, it will be treated similar to the ocean itself which clearly harbors lots of bacteria and algae. For the U.S., the EPA has not "closed down" the ocean due to its unsanitary nature! Remember that the primary purpose of a residual sanitizer is to kill pathogens that are newly introduced faster than they can be transmitted to another person (or the same person -- fecal to oral). In an artificial lagoon, the bather load is extremely low since the volume of water is so high so dilution takes care of keeping newly introduced pathogen counts low. Whether that argument is enough to satisfy government agencies in the U.S. and Europe remains to be seen.

They do say that they add chemicals, just at far lower rates, so I suspect they are more of the variety of algaecides and enzymes that tend to be longer lasting and they probably don't worry about pH so it's probably somewhat above 8.0 (ocean water near the surface is at around 8.1). The key to keeping their water clear is to circulate it and that alone takes a LOT of energy for those huge pumps.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

20. Back To Top    #20

So what you're saying Richard, is that they are not running their 2 Intelliflow pumps at the low speed setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast