OK - now more questions! Sorry guys!!

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
DH wants to fix the pump that got hit by lightning so that we have a spare pump. Actually, we DO already have a spare pump - it's on now, but it's old and loud and while it's working now, we aren't sure HOW long it will be working!! :mrgreen:

First - is it possible to fix it, or are we going to just end up replacing the motor?

2nd - if we replace the motor, can we replace a 2hp dual speed with a 1 or 1.5hp dual speed? Judging by other answers I've seen, I'm going to say no, but thought I'd ask it anyway!!! :hammer:

I've only looked at a few online, but it looks like a motor runs you as much as a new pump. If that's the case, if dh wants a "new spare", we should just buy a whole nother pump - in which case I'll just wait until our "old spare" kicks off, THEN buy a new spare..... lol

Thanks - again!!!!!!! :)

How much you can improve the sounds depends on what is wrong. Many older pumps simply are louder, but it could well be louder than that due to bad bearings or something similar, which could be repaired. In any case, it is doubtful that it will ever be as quiet as your old pump.

You can use a smaller HP motor only if you also replace the impeller with a smaller HP impeller. You can always switch to a 2 speed motor as long as the SFHP matches or is greater than the rating of the impeller.

One advantage to changing motor only, is that it can often be done without having to disconnect any of the plumbing.

Ike

p.s. there are how to videos on youtube for many popular models of pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.