Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Level Upon Closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Level Upon Closing

I closed my pool the other day with my old winter cover awaiting the arrival of my safety cover (sniff, sniff) . My questions are

1-After blowing the lines out and plugging with expandable plugs, should I refill the water to normal levels or leave an inch or so below the returns? There appears to be some pros and cons to both but what is suggested? I.e. drianing the antifreeze vs. allowing to mix with the water, supporting the cover vs. not supporting the cover, ice catching the plugs vs. not catching the plugs, etc.

2- If leaving the water below the plugs, how far should it be below the plugs and why? I read on the sticky 4 inches. Is this because frozen water will expand that much? Obviously dependent on how cold it can get.

Thanks,
    Craig
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Usually you leave the water about four inches below the returns. The idea is to be really sure that even if some extra water gets through the cover and into the pool and the plug in the return line falls out you still won't get water in the lines. It is also easier this way, since you pretty much have to lower the water to get the return line drained in the first place, why bother doing anything beyond that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Not to contradict Jason, but most of the safety cover manufacturers want the water to be no more than 15" below the cover or the warantee is voided. See what your cover has to say about the water height.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4
    RIght, safety cover. I don't have one so I'm not thinking that way. My previous post explains the motivation for leaving the water lower. If the cover needs the water higher that is not a big problem, just be aware that the plug in the return becomes much more important if the water is higher.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School