Rusted Intex Frame

Looks like we got ultra frame tubes from the same batch :( Just posted a similar topic here: rust-on-ultra-frame-after-2-months-t53365.html - and this is after 2 months of hot NJ weather, not much of raining AND weekly visits to a local pool store to test water where they provided me with computerized test results to maintain everything in top shape.

BTW, I tried calling Intex but NONE of their numbers are working. How convinient. I did file on-line "email" form and provided them with links to the pictures of my rust...

Went the form route and they will not do a thing about it. They just say the pump is 1 year warranty and the rest well good luck. What I did was sand the rust off and painted it with some Tremclad rust paint. We will see how that holds up next year. :'(

I've seen an occasional rust spot on my posts, but lightly sandpapered it and sprayed with Rustoleum spray paint on the spots, when I can see them anyway..That might help slow it down a bit..haven't had anymore problems, that I can see anyway. So far so good. :swim:

I've had my Intex pool (18'x48", circular metal) for 3 years now and it's gradually rusted itself to the point I think it's unsafe. Looks alot like the pictures posted originally above. I drained it and am looking for options. Can I get a new frame set, or should I just wait for summer & get a whole new setup? Is there another brand that doesn't rust out so fast? I put so much time into building the deck & ladder & I have a swg & sand pump - it's sad that I can't get another few years out of it. (Probably has something to do with living on the Gulf Coast - everything just doesn't last very long in the heat & humidity).

Anyway thanks for the advice. Here's a video of my setup from last summer. The poles were rusting at the time, but not falling apart yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU7YfL7GWus&feature=plcp
-Mark

My opinion is that if you've had this pool for that long, it's paid for itself and I'd get a new pool...you can replace the posts, then the liner will get brittle and leak, blah blah blah. If you get a new one, you'll be good for another 3 or 4 yrs, same size, so your deck will be in place I would think. That's what I'm doing in a few years. I've saved a lot of money on expensive holidays and enjoying my backyard oasis. :) By the way, you did a terrific job with the ladder and plumbing! Your little friend in the video seems happy too! :wave:

You know, you're right. But, that little dog in the video made the decision for me. She's now 65 lb and chewed up the liner after I took the poles out & threw them away. I knew she couldn't resist that... she'll eat anything; labs love to chew and dig. I'd sure like to get a big, rectangular pool but I'm not sure my wife would go for it. We have a community pool, but all of last year she went I think twice, whereas we used the backyard pool almost every day in the summer. Plus it's fun :)

See...even your dog says "get another pool, this one is old now"...she'll probably want to take a swim too! :) This year will be my second season with my pool and my SWG, no rust that I can see, except the ones I sprayed with Rustoleum..tiny, pin-point rust spots...looks good now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i just posted a thread about my rust problem. some of the vertical and horizontal pieces have rusted thru completely. this after only 3 years of use. i bought the pool complete with SWG in 2010. i'm upgrading to the 18x52'' but i will not use the SWG!

I'm on my 4th or 5th year with a 12 X 24 ultra frame. We had extreme rust as I've seen on here. To the point where I was afraid the splitting pipes would split the liner. I have ordered replacements and plan to put a coat of some sort of paint on them before installing. Love our pool and trying to get a few more years from it!

Most steel ABG pools have the warranty voided if you use a SWG. The play and splashing in the saltwater gets it on the pipe where it can begin to corrode the metal. The picture below shows our Intex pool that had been used for less than 1 year. An ice storm topped a tree that fell onto the pool and destroyed. The metal pipes had already started to rust where they joined and rubbed. During use of the Intex pool the metal joints flex and move damaging the finish and allowing rust to get started on the pipes.

My 18" Intex with SWG is only one season old - just bought it in May. Everything looks okay so far, but from what I'm seeing on here, looks like there's a good chance we are going to see some major rust problems in a year or two. Any suggestions on what I can do to avoid this? Should I rust-proof all metal with the right kind of paint? Should I dump my SWG? Thanks for your advice.

Rust proofing your poles every year will make the pool last longer but not forever. These pools sway back and forth and the paint will rub off no matter what you do. I think getting rid of the SWG may make the pool also last longer, how much do you like the SWG over conventional bleach. I wonder how long can an Intex pool last?

I had the same rust issues. I have a different AGP now and I just use bleach. Yes, the SWG was convenient but not worth the trouble. I wish that I had skipped Intex from the beginning and gone with a higher quality pool. Live and learn, I guess.

Mine looked worse than this when I took it down last October/November.
2yrs old with swg.
I knew mine was rusty....but when I took it down....WOW....told the wife....good thing we bought a new one (going bigger) because ours would nit have made it another year.

I don't know how.....but I may try silicone the metal real well. Probably won't do much good...but sure it couldn't be worse than what we had after two yrs.

I'll post a build thread in month or so when I do. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.