Pentair Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
I was just reading another threat about high electric bills and pool pump run time and speed settings.

My bill is FPL and when running pool and A/C the bill is around $200 a month.Is there a way that I can turn my single speed pump into a 2 speed or variable speed? The pump actually uses morejuice than my A/C does.It would be nice to lower the bill.

There must be some sort of conversion kit that can turn this pump into 2 speed or variable speed........What about an external speed dial...kind of like an electrical throttle?

I'm not flush enough to drop $800 - $1200 on a new pump

You can always change out the motor, leaving the rest of the pump in place. Two speed motors are available to fit almost any pump. You wan to get a motor that is the same HP on high speed and the same frame size.

As Jason said, A simple motor change is the most cost effective way to get a 2-speed pump. Be sure to use the HP x SF to get the motor size. For instance, if you have a 1½ hp with a SF of 1, you could replace it with a 1 hp with a SF of 1.5.

You're going to have to take the pump apart to change it so be mindful of the o-rings and gaskets. Personally I'd change the shaft seal while I was in there.

jaydar I would be interested in which way you went. I have considered replacing my 1.5hp Sta-rite with a 2 speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.