AA and sequestering agent

Shablam

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2010
Flower Mound, TX
I am about to tackle the metal stains in the pool. Wasn't hard to identify since I found bottles of algaecide in the shed after buying the house. Vit C tab worked as expected.

I have ordered the AA and now need the sequestering agent. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on what brand to use?

Thanks and sorry if this question has been answered. I did a searched but may have overlooked.

Also any small tips to pay attention to while completing this process?

Crossing fingers, stains are pretty ugly.

ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Thank you Jason.

So yesterday I did a pretty good AA treatment and some of the stains are completely gone. Now I have what i feared the most. The part of the pool that used to be under the neighbors Oak (lets call her oak doom) is still deeply stained so I am starting to think these are organic stains from the leaves and seed pods I constantly battle every March and April. The chainsaw work hopefully eliminated this for the future but now what should I do?

I left the pool filtering all night after ending the final AA treatment at 7:00 PM last night. Is the best way to treat these stains is to hold shock level until they vanish? And do I need to wait 2 weeks before shocking since I did the AA?

I drained last year to bring my CYA down so I really don't want to use pucks or powder shock to treat anything. If I need to hold shock level for a long time might it be cheaper to go %12 instead of %6 until the stains lift?

Thanks in advance. The stains on that end of the pool are pretty big and cover a great deal of the bottom on that side.

Those do sound like organic stains, though there are other possibilities. You can double check by putting a trichlor tablet against one of the stains for a minute or so and see what happens. If they are organic stains then maintaining an elevated chlorine level will clean them up eventually.

You don't want to shock for at least a week, two weeks is much safer.

I started to bring my levels up and did a full test on the water. I had skipped the cya test this year thinking that it wouldn't change but I went ahead and tested. The cya levels are showing 0 and last year before closing I was at 70. I tested twice and same results. Could this be a result of the AA?

I thought it was odd that I was losing chlorine pretty fast this year
But absolutely no algae. I guess this is why.

If I was going to raise it with maybe shock or a puck treating the stains how much can I use? I would like to keep the CYA at 30 - 40.

CYA disappears over the winter sometimes. CYA disappearing wouldn't have anything to do with AA.

It will take about 14 8 oz trichlor tablets to raise CYA up to 40, or just under 9 lbs of dichlor. Remember that both of those are also fairly acidic, so you will need to keep an eye on PH and TA when using them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.