30' Round Pool

nlblit

Jul 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Background.... I have been wanting a pool for years (timing was just never right). We finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 30" round above ground pool today. My excitement has quickly turned to nervousness. I'm wondering if we went with the right size pool? There are only 4 of us.... and I know it's a big pool.

My thought is that I'd really like our house to be a place for my kids and all their friends to hang out. My boys are already 10 & 13... so they're not little kids anymore. We live on an acre, so it won't be too big for the yard. I'm just wondering if a 30' pool is overkill? Is 30' going to be a lot more maintenance than a smaller pool? I have to admit, I'm having a hard time even imagining it. The pools in the showroom were 24', and I'm not good with spacial visualization.

Anyone with a 30' round pool that can share the pros and cons would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Congrats!

I am not sure I have seen a single post on TFP where someone wished they went with a smaller pool. And yours is really not that big compared to in-ground pools. You are probably around 22k gallons.

The chemistry is all the same, you will just have to be adding more of the chemicals due to the larger amount of water

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Outside of electricity, 5 months prior to the SWG cost around $225 for my pool. Your pool if in the same scenario would run about $300. If you have a lot of activity, your cost should be no more than $500. Please some of the material that Jason recommended and stay out of the pool stores. Also, necessary not to listen to other people outside the forum as you will receive conflicting information.

Has the pool been installed? If so, please upload some pictures and definitely add your signature! Thanks!

Can you ever have too big of a pool?! LOL Since you have the yard space for it, I'd say you'll likely be happy with the size. Once you get people in there and floats and toys, you'll like the space. I was in a 24 foot the other week, and, while it's big, I realized when I upgrade to a permanent AGP, I want one bigger than that. I"d love a 30 or even a 33.

I have a 24' round pool, and often times find myself trying to figure out how to fit a 30' into the space that I have available.
It won't work, and I have come to terms with that fact, not that THAT will stop me from working on the equation!
As has been said here, "There is no such thing as a pool that is too big".

Oh, it is just the wife and I here most times. Our 20 year old Grand-Daughter comes over on the occasional weekend to float, and tan.

Thanks for the great resources. I'll check them out!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information. The pool will be installed on 8/6.... pretty late in the season here in Michigan, but I didn't want to wait until next year :D

We have a 30 ft round and love it. It is just my husband and myself, but we have grandkids from the age of 21 down to 7 and a great grandbaby. Most days it is just the two of us but it is so nice when the gang comes over.
The only time I regret the size is when I need to replace the winter cover or solar cover. As the size of pool goes up so does the price. It also takes the water longer to warm up in the spring, but we added solar panels and a gas heater as back up.
Here is an photo from above to give you an idea of size.
large.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: MommaHuffman
You are gonna love it. I've got a 24 ft round but if I could have fit it into my back yard, we would have gone with a 30 ft for sure. As far as maintenance is concerned, it's really no big deal. Instead of 4cups of chlorine each evening, you'll pour in 6 or 8 cups. Be sure to get a recommended test kit. See my siggy below for info on those.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was afraid a 24' wouldn't be big enough for my 3 teenage boys. I got the 27' and would loved to have got the 30 or 33 if I had room. With that being said, I don't think you'll regret it at all! I think you're going to love it. There's no such thing as too big a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.