3 week SLAM crystal clear water but FC loss where??

agail4

May 19, 2022
Eastern Oklahoma
I am on day 22 of SLAM. My water is perfectly clear, but I continue to have FC loss. I started with 7.2 PH and a weak 30 CYA. The pool was a swamp but cleared up perfectly during the SLAM. I have added 155 gallons of 10% bleach! Just re-tested my CYA and the dot never disappeared. I have put 4 lbs of stabilizer in but it’s not dissolved yet. (3 days) Haven’t tested CYA since addition. I have removed trim pieces and all jet covers searching for algae and have found no more (about 1 week ago I had a plume of algae come out of a jet cover with one of those half eye covers). I do not have ladders. I do have algae dust or pollen or just dust accumulation on the walls. I am brushing at least daily. I am testing about twice a day during the week and more on weekends. Always a FC loss. Is it my CYA level or do I have algae still hiding somewhere?? Is it mustard? I have stains too, but have brushed off all things brushable! I have water features, could something be hidden in there? I have not attempted to remove the 2 led light features, is it safe? My filters are holding a good pressure, should I clean them anyway? I’m slamming assuming my CYA is at 30. Added photo of stained floor. My SWG is off. Pump running 24/7. Infloor cleaner running 24/7. How long will this go on?

Attachments

• 21B43E4A-6C2E-42B0-9889-CF1B147F6374.jpeg
    21B43E4A-6C2E-42B0-9889-CF1B147F6374.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 40
I am on day 22 of SLAM. My water is perfectly clear, but I continue to have FC loss. I started with 7.2 PH and a weak 30 CYA. The pool was a swamp but cleared up perfectly during the SLAM. I have added 155 gallons of 10% bleach! Just re-tested my CYA and the dot never disappeared. I have put 4 lbs of stabilizer in but it’s not dissolved yet. (3 days) Haven’t tested CYA since addition. I have removed trim pieces and all jet covers searching for algae and have found no more (about 1 week ago I had a plume of algae come out of a jet cover with one of those half eye covers). I do not have ladders. I do have algae dust or pollen or just dust accumulation on the walls. I am brushing at least daily. I am testing about twice a day during the week and more on weekends. Always a FC loss. Is it my CYA level or do I have algae still hiding somewhere?? Is it mustard? I have stains too, but have brushed off all things brushable! I have water features, could something be hidden in there? I have not attempted to remove the 2 led light features, is it safe? My filters are holding a good pressure, should I clean them anyway? I’m slamming assuming my CYA is at 30. Added photo of stained floor. My SWG is off. Pump running 24/7. Infloor cleaner running 24/7. How long will this go on?
Can you record the test results in poolmath so we can see what the losses are? You have bleach additions but nothing else. Just want to makenaure you know there will be FC loss every day. It’s just that you should see less than 1ppm with the overnight chlorine loss test.

Read this:
I believe this is what I battled about 10 years ago when I opened my pool for the first time. I think I added about 60-70 gallons of chlorine. Towards the end and getting frustrated, I added about 8 gallons at once. It was finally able to hold chloring after that. Not necessarily recommending that you do that, just saying that's what ended it for me.

• Love
Reactions: agail4
Can you record the test results in poolmath so we can see what the losses are? You have bleach additions but nothing else. Just want to makenaure you know there will be FC loss every day. It’s just that you should see less than 1ppm with the overnight chlorine loss test.
With your question I just realized you had to log your readings. I have tons of chlorine logs but no FC numbers. This morning at 6 am it was at a 9. Last night it was 4. I always add the suggested amount to bring it to 12. I will begin logging readings.

Read this:
I believe this is what I battled about 10 years ago when I opened my pool for the first time. I think I added about 60-70 gallons of chlorine. Towards the end and getting frustrated, I added about 8 gallons at once. It was finally able to hold chloring after that. Not necessarily recommending that you do that, just saying that's what ended it for me.
This is my first slam. I think I’ve been battling algae for a couple years. I’m new here and love the confidence I’m gaining to maintain my own pool. I know my husband is saying dump all the bleach!!! Lol im almost there!

With your question I just realized you had to log your readings. I have tons of chlorine logs but no FC numbers. This morning at 6 am it was at a 9. Last night it was 4. I always add the suggested amount to bring it to 12. I will begin logging readings.
So you gained 5ppm of FC overnight? It’s totally normal to lose FC throughout the day. Normal pools lose 2-4ppm per day just from sunlight. So do an overnight chlorine loss test and let’s see where you’re at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How are you testing? Your signature indicates you are using “pool store testing”. Do you have one of the recommended test kits, TF-100 from tftestkits.net or a Taylor K-2006C?

So you gained 5ppm of FC overnight? It’s totally normal to lose FC throughout the day. Normal pools lose 2-4ppm per day just from sunlight. So do an overnight chlorine loss test and let’s see where you’re at.
I added 167 oz of bleach at 6pm last night to bring it up to an assuming 12. Retested this morning at 6 am and got the 9 ppm. Will test at dark and measure the loss tomorrow morning. I was so focused on keeping it at 12 I never tested for a true overnight reading.

I added 167 oz of bleach at 6pm last night to bring it up to an assuming 12. Retested this morning at 6 am and got the 9 ppm. Will test at dark and measure the loss tomorrow morning. I was so focused on keeping it at 12 I never tested for a true overnight reading.
Ok, I guess I’m not following how you know you’re losing chlorine.

Is your CYA level at 30? I know mine's at 30 and the recommended slam level is 12. Also which chlorine are you using, is it from a pool store or the walmart chlorine?
The source of liquid chlorine shouldn’t matter so long as the percentages used to calculate additions are correct.

The source of liquid chlorine shouldn’t matter so long as the percentages used to calculate additions are correct.
Correct, but I've had problems with Wal-Mart chlorine as have others on this forum. I agree with your statement in general but my Wal-Mart has issues storing the clorine properly and has had much older stock too. Just something I like to keep people aware of sometimes as it has effected my experience.

Correct, but I've had problems with Wal-Mart chlorine as have others on this forum. I agree with your statement in general but my Wal-Mart has issues storing the clorine properly and has had much older stock too. Just something I like to keep people aware of sometimes as it has effected my experience.
Walmart chlorine, good news, however, 1 ppm on loss over night. This is my first slam. I was looking to have a 12 ppm reading in the morning to not have an over night loss. Now what? Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.