Laziebun

Aug 22, 2021
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First off thanks to TFP has been such a great platform and teacher. Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn a ton the last week or two. With that said I can’t stop thinking pool chemistry… it’s all new to me :)

I have two brand new 40lbs 3” tablets I bough a few weeks ago for the season. As I’m learning more about water balancing, I wonder if I really needs these as the tablets will only make my life harder since they release CYA as part of their makeup. Im thinking of going to liquid chlorine and adding as it’s needed. And if CYA is needed I can add that too.

Thoughts?

Liquid is definitely the way to go on a daily basis if your CYA is already high enough. In your area a CYA of around 40-50 if probably good. But if your CYA is on the low side, or you go on vacation for a few days, there's nothing wrong with the tabs. Also be mindful tabs are acidic and can lower pH over time, so be sure the pH isn't already low when using tabs.

Reactions: Laziebun
I wonder if I really needs these as the tablets will only make my life harder since they release CYA as part of their makeup. Im thinking of going to liquid chlorine and adding as it’s needed. And if CYA is needed I can add that too.
Continued tab use will increase CYA and require draining and refilling - TFPs vote is that you don't need them! I would say to keep a bucket of the tabs in the event of vacations where no one is maintaining the pool, assuming your CYA can tolerate the increase, but you might be able to sell the other bucket if you can't return it.

Reactions: Laziebun
Liquid is definitely the way to go on a daily basis if your CYA is already high enough. In your area a CYA of around 40-50 if probably good. But if your CYA is on the low side, or you go on vacation for a few days, there's nothing wrong with the tabs. Also be mindful tabs are acidic and can lower pH over time, so be sure the pH isn't already low when using tabs.
Read that If I went on vacation for a few days or so I can bring my chlorine levels up SLAM levels (based on CYA) and should be fine for a few days. But tablets seem like it’s more work then reward.

Continued tab use will increase CYA and require draining and refilling - TFPs vote is that you don't need them! I would say to keep a bucket of the tabs in the event of vacations where no one is maintaining the pool, assuming your CYA can tolerate the increase, but you might be able to sell the other bucket if you can't return it.
I’m leaning towards liquid… I know there was a tablet shortage last year, was it the same with liquid chlorine as well?

Read that If I went on vacation for a few days or so I can bring my chlorine levels up SLAM levels (based on CYA) and should be fine for a few days. But tablets seem like it’s more work then reward.
Correct. Some people just go to SLA level and don't bother with tabs. Personal choice depends on various factors like current levels, length of vacation, location, etc.

Availability depends on your location. I haven't had a problem getting LC locally but others struggle. I think where I am, more people use tabs than LC so tabs are in shorter supply here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.