2CM Porcelain pool coping OK to use? In nevada

Newpool88

Sep 27, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Hello everyone
I apologize if this is a repeated question but i have searched and only found 1 other topic on this

My gunite has be finished for almost a week
Ive been searching for a white pool coping that is concrete but haven't found anything close to what I'd like.
I have found porcelain paver which can be used as coping ( i want a straight edge), it is 2 cm - would that be OK? I see a lot of homes now a days using porcelain for coping and decking

Secondly, My pool builder just found out last week that the elevation was higher than it should be ( the day that the gunite company came)
he informed me that it will be a few inches higher and i didn't make a big deal out of it at that time because I was just happy to move forward with gunite.

Do you think I should bring it up? Someone didn't do their job right and although this can't be fixed maybe discount in another area? Although I don't want to offend him by asking

Thanks

I'll be starting our build very soon and will be using a porcelain paver and coping. as you mentioned, i haven’t been able to find many topics related to porcelain tile and how it may affect the build.

We are using Arterra Palmwood Gris 24”x24” & 24”x13”. it will be the same tile for both decking and coping. The thinness has been a question i’ve had on how that will affect the build and any precautions needing to be taken to make sure everything matches up correctly.

Would also love to hear others experience with porcelain tile as decking/coping to see how it holds up, handles the sun and if too slippery when wet. we have been playing with the samples and it seems to be grippy and not too hot in the NC full sun. But i am sure it may be different on a larger scale.

I would bring it up. you never know what they may offer or options to help make it better/right. Good luck!

I'll be starting our build very soon and will be using a porcelain paver and coping. as you mentioned, i haven’t been able to find many topics related to porcelain tile and how it may affect the build.

We are using Arterra Palmwood Gris 24”x24” & 24”x13”. it will be the same tile for both decking and coping. The thinness has been a question i’ve had on how that will affect the build and any precautions needing to be taken to make sure everything matches up correctly.

Would also love to hear others experience with porcelain tile as decking/coping to see how it holds up, handles the sun and if too slippery when wet. we have been playing with the samples and it seems to be grippy and not too hot in the NC full sun. But i am sure it may be different on a larger scale.

I would bring it up. you never know what they may offer or options to help make it better/right. Good luck!

Thanks!!
I've seen a lot of luxury homes using porcelain tile/pavers/ and porcelain coping these days! I feel like, if their installers can put it in, I don't see why mine can't.
I actually just ordered my porcelain pavers today. I'm using DalTile - Luminary White 24x24, 2cm
Ive brought some porcelain paver samples home from Bedroisons and I left it out in my backyard for a few days and it was not hot at all. I live in Nevada.

My pool tiles and coping goes on next week. Crossing fingers everything will go smoothly!

Good luck on your build!

Hello! I love the idea of porcelain coping and don’t know that was an option. Did you look at white travertine and decide against it? I’m curious if the porcelain is cheaper than the travertine. I may need to make a change. I’m in Oklahoma and we do freeze here but from what I’ve read, porcelain is a great choice. Have you compared price on those two?

The wife wasn’t a fan of travertine, so we were possibly looking at cement pavers and that is when we found the porcelain pavers and coping. the one we picked has a wood texture with a matching coping tile. i haven’t seen final numbers, but the base tile sf cost wasn’t much more than the large cement pavers. the labor may be more, but doubt it.

Reactions: Newpool88
[QUOTE="RaleighDawg, post: 1849972, member: 233318
[/QUOTE]
I just texted my builder to ask if it was too late to consider Porcelain for our coping. I always thought it would be slippery but I like it better than travertine. Plus, with salt water, some people report having problems with the two together. Thanks for sending.

let us know how it goes. i know the thickness of the tile is something that has to be considered during the build. but i haven’t gotten to that point to know how if affects any part yet.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the trick is to make sure it slip resistance rating is sufficient for surfaces with water for the tile you select. There are 100s of designs and colors but only some are rated for wet surface installation like shower or bath as they prevent slips and falls. Others are like walking on ice when wet. . You may also want to consider whether the tile is colored throughout or just on the surface. If surface only, chips will stand out and be difficult to repair (imo).

The wife wasn’t a fan of travertine, so we were possibly looking at cement pavers and that is when we found the porcelain pavers and coping. the one we picked has a wood texture with a matching coping tile. i haven’t seen final numbers, but the base tile sf cost wasn’t much more than the large cement pavers. the labor may be more, but doubt it.
I just found out the travertine we thought was on hold for our build was sold and won't be restocked until August. Scrambling to find alternative that I might like better anyway. Wondering what the specific thickness was on this particular tile? Do you know? I like the Arterra Caldera Bianco Coping which is similar to what you chose but can't find the thickness listed online. Also wondering about freeze/thaw conditions. I'll have to look into it further unless you know? Worth a shot, right?

i don’t want to assume the thickness will be the same, but the one we are using is 0.79 inches thick. the freeze thaw ability of the porcelain tile is supposed to be a strong feature they brag about. that is because of the impermeable surface that doesn’t allow water to be absorbed by the tile.

It took me looking at a few locations selling our tile to find one that listed the thickness.

tile looks great! send pictures when installed. what type of base are they going to install on?
I am not quite sure yet, at first my coping was going to be acid etched concrete but I changed it to using porcelain pavers (since I'm doing porcelain paver for my decking). Things have been delayed lately..and they barely just finished my waterline tile today. Crossing fingers coping can be finished on monday. Will update later!

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hello! I love the idea of porcelain coping and don’t know that was an option. Did you look at white travertine and decide against it? I’m curious if the porcelain is cheaper than the travertine. I may need to make a change. I’m in Oklahoma and we do freeze here but from what I’ve read, porcelain is a great choice. Have you compared price on those two?
Hi Jenn! Thats my name also! Sorry this is a bit late! I actually looked at everything, from white limestone to cement pavers to even pre cast coping. All I really wanted was a white coping. Seems so simple yet so difficult to find (no help from my builder).
Porcelain seemed like a good option since it won't stain or age like natural stone.
My porcelain paver (I say paver because I wanted my coping to be a straight edge, A paver can be used in place of the "coping" for the coping) I picked is a resemblance of a limestone. I have considered the cost difference, a 2cm porcelain paver or coping will cost very similar to natural stone. Im in Nevada.
Now I don't know the labor cost of installing for COPING but for the decking, the labor can be pricey since much more work needs to be done for installation.

I'm also interested to hear how @RaleighDawg liked the Arterra porcelain pavers. We haven't selected which product yet but have been doing quite a bit of research. Their MSI Arterra pavers are specifically made for outdoor environments including pools. The hardscaping contractor we are working with said their pricing is comparable to travertine and the installation method is similar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.