Worm stains on bottom of vinyl liner

dc

May 3, 2011
After opening the pool a few weeks ago, there are dark stains in various spots on the bottom of our vinyl liner. Some are long and others are wider and short, mostly in the shallow part, but one spot in the deep end. The pool opening people say they are worm spots. He said when they opened it, the found dead worms in various spots on the bottom. They have increased the chlorine levels in the pool. The spots seem a least bit lighter, but not much. What can be done with these spots? When the pool people put some granular chlorine on some spots, it seemed to lessen them a little. Is there anything else that can be done? It has been two days since the chlorine has been increased. Will these spots go away? Is there anything else we can try?

Last year I had some stains in the deep end that had been there for a couple of years. I think they were rust stains from something that stayed in the pool over winter. I read somewhere (maybe here) about vitamin C tablets. So I tried it and it worked...

Here is what I did.
1) bought some cheap chewable vitamin C tablets
2) crushed about 10 or so and put them in a nylon sock
3) added some rocks in the sock as well to help weigh it down
4) drop the sock on the stain (had to use the broom to position it directly over the stain)
5) The next morning, the stain was smaller so I repeated this a few days and the stain went away.

Hope this helps!