Pool Opening in a Rush

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Just a follow up to my other thread dealing with going away after opening your pool.

We open on Tuesday. Can I dump in the 2 or 3 bags of salt while filling the pool on Tuesday? Can I put in a sock full of CYA on Wednesday, and spend the rest of the time vacuuming here and there till Saturday morning? I would heat to about 60F so that I can turn on the salt system when I leave. I would shock the pool Saturday morning and put the solar blanket on. Are there any problems in this strategy? Will the salt saturation levels be proper from Tuesday to Saturday? Let me know if there is something I'm missing or should not do while doing something else. Thanks a ton.

Sounds pretty Kosher to me.

I'd downplay the amount of salt and cya - you've probably got a decent idea of their levels, but it's always easier to add more than to take some back out. As such I'd add enough to get to the minimum level, while filling and do some tweaking once the pool has been up and running for a day.

It is quite possible, but tricky for that entire sequence to come out right. Hopefully nothing goes wrong. A rain storm or cold snap when the liner was scheduled to be installed can delay things several days. A plumbing leak can also cause delays.

I wouldn't add anything until the pool is full and the pump is running. You can add salt and CYA and balance the PH as soon as the pump is running. Hopefully TA is either low or reasonable, because lowering TA takes time. The salt will be all dissolved and ready to use after 24 hours. CYA will not be all dissolved, but will be ready to use for a SWG within about two or three days. Figuring out the perfect SWG percentage setting takes quite a while, but as long as you err on the high side you shouldn't have a problem.

I dumped mine in when I opened my pool on Sunday. Scooped off as many leaves as I could. I made sure I maintained shock level and the FC held so if there was anything lurking it's dead already. Just gotta vacuum a bit now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.