April comes, and the white cloud follows....

TL

Jun 10, 2010
OK, so I followed BBB to a T last year and had the easiest summer of pool maintenance. I was committed to closing my pool better to avoid spring issues like I had last year. I closed in october (I live in Michigan) with a high FC level and lots of polyquat, and not a speck of dirt in the pool. I checked in november, as the temps dropped, and still had lots of FC (about 8ppm) and the temps were really getting cold. Winter came and went, and my wife noticed that part of cover fell in (failed water bag, wind) and the topwater mixed a little with the pool water. This was in mid march when temps were still really cold. So I go out to check the water quality last week, and once again, the pool water has that white cloud! How is this possible when even the topwater doesn't show this? Temps have gotten somewhat warm, but the water is not yet above 55 degrees yet. It is this same white cloud that I had to battle for a week last year when I opened, but that was in late may. Any thoughts? I figured that by closing properly and opening earlier, I would never see that white cloud develop but I was wrong.

The part of the cover that fell in likely let in enough organic material to consume the remaining FC. I don't know what the FC level was when you closed in October, but November to April is a long time and you don't say how long the area of the cover has been in the pool. If you have 0 FC algae can bloom, even in cold water. If your water were warmer you would have opened to a green swamp.

Add enough bleach to bring the pool to shock level and try to keep it there as much as you can until the pool clears.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.