My pool build - a nightmare so far.

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Spraying
Sunday PB sprayed pool knowing it was the day before trees to be cut down. The outline did not look right and the guy spraying it was having trouble laying it out. I told him before he sprayed and sales person new, that the next day, Monday three trees would be cut down. He asked if they could try and not mess up the lines and stakes he had put down. This was impossible as 6 workers worked tirelessly for 8 hours cutting down the trees. Stump grinder in use as well.
Tree cutting - stump issue
Trees cut, Foreman EDIT /spray guy tells me I only need to grind 2 of three stumps. I tell my grinder that PB will pull the last stump. PB's diggers could not or would not pull last stump so I had to pay stump guy again to come out, he has a minimum. This cost me an extra $100.00 as if he had done it when here originally it would have been a $75.00 stump. To come out again just for the one stump was $175.00
Immediate digging
Day after trees cut PB re-sprays outline, and immediately begin to dig. This gave us no time to really study the design. Not really very reasonable. We did think it was drawn wrong this caused serious concern and confusion.
Irrigation
Irrigation, the contract says and sales person told me that the irrigation system would be cut, and capped and then redone at end of build. They did not cap or cut. This caused a leak at neighbors junction and loss of 3 of 5 zones.
Steel weirdness
Steel, still some confusion about steel and pool size. No real help or clarification from PB. After some discussion, they dig.
Plumbing
Plumbers used the wrong non flexible pvc in spa, I told PB about the spa outlets pointing at odd angles. PB tells me it is flex pvc so no worries. I tell PB that it is not flex pvc. PB send guy back out that night. Guy comes out and cuts out the non flex, adds flex pvc using the same collars. He dug out with a knife the bits left in the old collars and re used them.
Plumbing 2
There is an obvious munson / error with the plumbing, weird angle of one pipe at the equipment pad indicating plumber had routed it wrong. The pipe is not vertical.
Coping 1
PINK flagstone - we picked what we were told was "Buckskin" it is not pink. It was picked after much thought so it would match the stacked rock. When the coping was delivered we told guys that delivered it NO ROJO it is like 6:30 at night, dinner time they begin to cut the stone!
Spa Tiled and more Pink coping
The next morning I called EDIT because I happened to notice they were tiling the spa wrong and they had continue to cut the pink coping! I told EDIT the sales person that flagstone was pink, EDIT the sales person talks on phone to foreman EDIT who just happened to walk up. I wrongly assumed they discussed both the spa and the coping. Tile guy has to remove tile and replace with stacked rock.
We were told that new stone would be brought out, but it was not.
Coping 2
Even if the coping was the right color, the pool is a geometric pool. The cut lines of the flagstone and the joints do not look professional. There are gaps at a joint and the same two pieces touch at the other end. The grout line will be a V shape. Not very geometric.
Tile 2
Stacked rock at corners of spa is mitered poorly.

Tile 3
Tile inside spa is not cut even. It is not straight at the bottom of the tile under dam wall spill inside the spa.
Equipment Pad
The equipment pad is too small, the filter canister, main pump and auxiliary pump do not fit, pump hangs over, not even bolted down.
Over flow
The overflow outlet is crooked, it is not set straight in the tile. I won't be sticking my head in the skimmer, however it should be set at a horizontal with the skimmer box.

Drainage!!
Brick -- how to set it on spa
Clean up?
Plaster
Decking
Stamped Concrete
grading
fence
Irrigation
cleanup
startup

I've given this advice before, and some companies just don't care, but a call from your attorney to the PB reminding him of his contractual obligation (s) sometimes tends to do the trick and may be worth a shot.

I have talked to my lawyer. Not ready to use him - at $600.00 an hour Im saving the nuclear option. It would be extremly unfair to unleash the hounds on the poor PB. With that said, we have 3 real live actual families who are close friends who ARE going to build a pool in the next 30 to 45 days. NONE of them will use this guy, all three would have on our recommendation. When were done I am going to give the PB the names of the three( they have said it is ok) and I am going to tell him you just cost yourself 3 pools at the very least bud. One of our friends is signing a deal next week with another PB, the second is negotiation among a few and the last one is so freaked out by our experience that they are just laying low! 200k worth of pools lost......

I would stop everything until you have a serious sit down with some real communication, iron out the problems (or at least come to a compromise), then put it in writing.
If you can't get satisfaction that things will be done right, fire him or use the "L" option.
It definitely sounds like you are not on the same page, and "as is" neither of you will end up happy with the outcome.

Best of luck,
John

Great news, I got a call from the builder today. His tile and coping crew are in jail!!! He is getting a new crew soon. Had another chat with him about the 8' brick coping he swears it is standard. He then started in on me about price, he said I could pay 500 more for 12". I told him that since he said 8" was standard why would I go to 12"? I also asked if 8" is standard then why was the PINK flagstone cut to 12"? No answer. Just 8" is standard, you can pay more if you like! I asked him to just get it done. I look forward to being the guinea pig for thenew crew. Yeah me.

Still need - clean up
coping
drainage
deck
plaster
grade yard
repair irrigation system
replace fence
fill it

What else could possibly go wrong?

They finalyy got a crew over to do the brick coping. That was completed last Friday, it is Thursday they have been here several times but they have not done much, a couple of guys dug some of the drainage, that is about it. PB picked up 3rd check yesterday and said we had a plumming inpection today. No one has been here today, drainage not complete, deck not framed, deck not poured, stamped over lay not done, plaster not done, yard a mess, irrigation system destroyed. I think I have a 50/50 chance of never seeing them again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dmanb2b said:
I've given this advice before, and some companies just don't care, but a call from your attorney to the PB reminding him of his contractual obligation (s) sometimes tends to do the trick and may be worth a shot.
This worked for me, it got the ball rolling that day! We had no more problems after it was known that an attorney was getting involved... :goodjob:

I have just discovered the deck jets are 1/2 inch lower than the top of the deck and coping! I am so excited! Also today they did most of the drainage. They installed 2 area drains as if they were going in the raised part of the deck, they'll have to cut and redo. The main most serious drain was the last they did, and they did not dig the whole for the box deep enough but ran pipe from this space, so if they dig the place where the drain box goes any deeper, the drain pipe will run up hill! Great I get to watch them redo the most important part of the drainage. I can't wait to hear the excuse for the deck jets, un believable, like I want a 2.5 in hole in my deck, it is supposed to be flush with the deck. I guess they can come cut the gunite that was used to anchor them when they gunited the pool. Literally every single step of the way these people have screwed up. If you could see the drain mess I have in my yard it would blow your mind and to discover that I have ANOTHER problem that I will have to take time to explain to the idiot, then hear some bs excuse or reason or a flat out lie, then have to see him cringe in knowing that yet again his crews have screwed up. I know I totally have a deceptive trade practices act, triple damages, slam dunk. I could stop the entire thing, file against him, bleed a few grand in legal fees, get awarded a judgment that he can't pay and I'd still have to finish my pool on my own. Urghhh

The nightmare continues

I'll add this to my nightmare thread but had a quick question. The drain crew installed 12 inch drain basins yesterday, at the end of them instead of using a $1.00 drain cap, they used DUCT TAPE!
Surely this cant be standard right? Contractors using duct tape instead of one of these http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/produc ... GoogleBase.

I just sent the PB a text asking for him to have them install caps, they come with the basin, could there be a black market for drain basin plugs? I have 4 basins that have duct tape as an end cap.

Topics merged. Please keep everything on one topic together in one place. JasonLion

The drain crew installed 12 inch drain basins yesterday, at the end of them instead of using a $1.00 drain cap, they used DUCT TAPE!
Surely this cant be standard right? Contractors using duct tape instead of one of these http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/produc ... GoogleBase.

I just sent the PB a text asking for him to have them install caps, they come with the basin, could there be a black market for drain basin plugs? I have 4 basins that have duct tape as an end cap.

Okay to show my love for the torture here are some new pictures you all will love this
Here is some of the duct tape end cap work

Here is another drain with duct tape. Note part of my irrigation system that was never capped prior to digging.

I am not drunk here, but they were check out how level the pipes are and the pad! The main horizontal pipe is over 1 inch off

Here is the main most important drain, all grading was to start here, they actually worked up hill and now this pipe is to high for the box

More Duct tape

Deck jets much lower than deck and coping, they should be flush

Re: The nightmare continues

Duct tape is often used as a temporary cover while the drains are being set in concrete. The tape prevents concrete, or dirt, from getting inside the drain body. Some drains come with a temporary cover just for this purpose, but duct tape is more common. The tape should be removed after that step is complete.

In your pictures, it would make sense to use duct tape temporarily if they didn't have the correct caps on site when the drains went in. The tape needs to be replaced before the drains are fully buried.

My builder also set the caps aside and used duct tape to cover the jets while pouring the deck.
[attachment=1:14som0p1]Deck Jet 1.jpg[/attachment:14som0p1]
[attachment=0:14som0p1]Deck Jet 2.jpg[/attachment:14som0p1]

Attachments

• Deck Jet 1.jpg
    Deck Jet 1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Deck Jet 2.jpg
    Deck Jet 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 101
The deck actually makes more sense. There the caps can be a pain to get off sometimes, and just pop off on their own other times. Duct tape stays in place and is always easy enough to get off. But the drains make less sense, because there it will be just slightly tricky to get the proper caps on later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.