Pressure issues, need help

skos

Aug 17, 2010
Pressure issues, need help

I have a pool and spa attached that has a fountain with DE filter. The spa/fountain is flowing water back into the pool.

I noticed the fountain has no pressure (no water flowing back into the pool). Pressure gage reads 30. I have backwashed and the pool runs great for an hr or so (starts at 20psi). Then back to no pressure. It appears looking at the motor; the strainer and basket are not completely filled with water. So appears it is losing prim.

I can open the strainer/basket and screw it back on. Again runs great for an hr or so then back to no pressure.

So I open the strainer/basket, took off o-ring and cleaned it, clean the strainer/basket and lubed o-ring and strainer/basket. Cleaned skimmers and started the pool back up. Pressure read 20. Again runs great for an hr or so then back to no pressure.

Any ideas?

Thanks Steve

What is your pressure gauge reading during these times? What kind of filter? Is your water clear?

There are a lot of possibilities, and it's going to take some detective work to narrow it down.

Are you fighting an algae bloom? If you are filtering a lot of algae out of the pool then the filter will clog quickly and shut down the flow rate from the pump.

That could be a very slow air leak on the suction side. Check to see that the pump strainer basket lid sealing gasket is clean and free of nicks or cuts and that it is properly secured. Another thing to check is that the water level in the skimmer is high enough to prevent a vortex from forming that can draw in air.

mas985 said:
Are you fighting an algae bloom? If you are filtering a lot of algae out of the pool then the filter will clog quickly and shut down the flow rate from the pump.

Good call mas985. I open my filter and found a nice shade of green. I cleaned the filters and I will update in future if all is good.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.