after rough winter, pool not holding water

kicko

Jul 14, 2008
We had a pretty rough new england winter here and yesterday i was inspecting the pool. I noticed there is about only 1-2" of water in the bottom. I figured since there was a huge ton of ice sitting on top it must have sunk down pushing the water up the sides and over the top by some water displacement. Over night i ran a hose trying to fill it up some to let the vinyl liner get back into shape but when i woke up the ground was soak mainly a one end of the pool. I peeled the cover back and looked for anything unusal but i can see anything. I first thought was a leak! Now i am freaking out! The only other thing i could think of was maybe the drain area is seeping? sie that is the only opening that there should be. The drain to the pump line is not attached and there is no water coming from that hose. The liner itself is only 3 years old. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My fear is expensive this can get quickly. thanks.

Is your pool an above ground pool? If so, this should be a fairly easy fix. You need to uncover the pool and look around for the leak. The leak will be at the water level, which should make it fairly easy to find. Once located the liner can be patched easily enough (unless there is a huge tear).

If you have an in-ground pool, things get a little more complicated, but the same basic principals apply. With an in-ground the odds of needing a new liner increase, but chances still are that you can fix it.

thanks! its an above ground pool. I'm hoping that what water is in it holds so that it is above the water line. I'll hop in it and see what i can find. WOuld the area of the wet ground indicate closer the the affected leak? or no the ground does crazy things with water?

UPDATE

I found it , it a 2-3" slash in the bottom back corner. I will take a picture but being a corner and the size it am very skeptical about repairs. someone tell me otherwise..please. :hammer:

More update i found another tear in the other back corner this one is larger about 8"

I think this liner is done :( unfortunately i doint think a 10 year warranty will cover this.

Anyone have experince with dealing with kayak? all i have read is negative. Also anyone know a great place to buy a replacement?

I'd try patching the liner. 2-3" shouldn't be a problem at all. 8" is starting to push it for a patch, but you can often do that as well, especially if the area with the cut/tear isn't near the upper rim. It doesn't cost much to try and patch it, and it could save you quite a bit of money. Patching an empty, or mostly empty, pool is fairly easy, certainly worth a try. Pick up a patch kit and see what you can do.

JasonLion said:
I'd try patching the liner. 2-3" shouldn't be a problem at all. 8" is starting to push it for a patch, but you can often do that as well, especially if the area with the cut/tear isn't near the upper rim. It doesn't cost much to try and patch it, and it could save you quite a bit of money. Patching an empty, or mostly empty, pool is fairly easy, certainly worth a try. Pick up a patch kit and see what you can do.

patching even in the corner? I just worry about a tough angle. but i guess your right it worth a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.