Plaster where tile/scum line used to be

Aug 10, 2010
New to gunite pools and just moved into a house with one. We have tiles popping due to age of the tile. My question is instead of redoing the tile is it possible to just paint up to the copping stones? Essentially blending in the rest of the pool surface. I would smooth the surface to make sure there is a good bond to adhere the paint to. Just wondering if this is possible, as to be honest not only is it a cheaper option but I also would like the cleaner finished look rather then tile. I know the tile would make it easier to clean but I am not afraid of a little elbow grease if that is the only reason for the tile.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

Paint isn't going to last all that long. You could paint it, but the paint will start having problems fairly soon (a couple of years). As soon as the paint starts failing, it becomes important what is behind the tile. On a typical gunite pool, there is gunite behind the tile, which isn't completely waterproof, so you would have a slow leak. In a typical fiberglass pool, there is fiberglass back there, which is waterproof, so you would be alright give or take how the paint looks.

Is there an option to have the whole pool "skim coated" then painted again. Or acid wash the whole pool and then paint the entire pool? Also what is the ball park price for a job like that?

Thanks for the quick reply. I can already tell I will been on this site at least once a day!

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.