I've defected to the dark side! New peristaltic pump

Nothing is completely maintenance free and you have to keep a check on things to make sure they're still doing what they're supposed to do.

Having worked on and around metering pumps in industry for the last 30 years I know what can and will go wrong. I also know which types of pumps have which problems, and believe me, pool service is a cake walk for these pumps compared to some of the applications I've seen them in.

Now to figure out what my next challenge will be? Maybe solar heat & cooling. Hmmm!

I'll have to go from memory and some of it won't apply because I already had some things.

LQ Cost = $150 + about $30 in replacement parts.
Upgrade tubing & fittings Cost = ~ $30
Hayward Needle valve = $40

Peristaltic Pump = $250
15 gallon drum = $17

Thanks for sharing. That's about what I thought. The two are within $50 or less of each other. When I make the move, I think I will make it to the pump. No white stuff to contend with and I do have a very short straight down suction from the skimmer, so with the LQ I might have to close my skimmer line valve a lot.

The cheapest place I could find the Stenner 45MHP10 pump was at "Locke Well and Pump Company" for $254 + $17 shipping. I ordered a recycled 15 gallon drum from "Homebrewer's Outpost" for $19 + $8 shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am considering ordering one. I was thinking I would wire it to a free relay in my ET 8. If I go that option, couldn't i get away with the fixed output model. I would control dosing with the relay on a program. I use somewhere around .5 to .75 gallons of chlorine a day, so the 10 GPD would need run for just about an hour and a half. Any reason to not go this route? I was thinking it might be nice to add the chlorine to the pool at a slower rate, but on second thought, I am just dumping it in right now.

There are all kinds of thoughts on how to do it and very few of them are wrong. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that buying a fixed pump you're limiting yourself if you ever wanted to apply it differently. But it certainly will work and it's completely your call.

Bama Rambler said:
There are all kinds of thoughts on how to do it and very few of them are wrong. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that buying a fixed pump you're limiting yourself if you ever wanted to apply it differently. But it certainly will work and it's completely your call.

Yeah that is what I have been thinking, but I figure that I will likely set it to a flow rate and then adjust it from the timer. Just seems easier. The other advantage of a fixed rate pump is that you reduce energy usage by running the pump for shorter amounts of time. That will offset my wife and daughters propensity to leave every light in the house on :)

That said, I will probably by the variable rate pump. Just gives me more flexibility.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.