Lost 3" of Water Overnight...

This morning the water level was right at the bottom of the lights. God be willing that is where it has stopped and is not dropping.

With a leak in the light, how is that fixed. I assume with epoxy that I have to get at the pool store? What normally fails with the light to make it leak? Thanks!!

The light fixture is placed in a niche, and is easily removed. The niche is normally connected to a flooded pipe that comes up to a junction box above ground not too far from the niche. The most common failure is a break in the pipe between the niche and the junction box. It is also possible for there to be a loss of seal between the niche and the liner somewhere around the edge. It is also possible for the pipe to break off from the niche completely.

To investigate, you need to remove the light, usually very simple with a single screw, and examine the area closest to the current water level. If the water level lines up with the pipe then you can seal the pipe with epoxy putty. If there is a failure where the liner mets the niche you will need to remove the niche sealing ring, patch the liner or replace the sealing gasket or both depending and then reinstall the sealing ring.

The water dropped below the lights today. There is only about 2" in the shallow end. So, I think we either have a hole in the deep end where the debris is (more on that in a moment) or the main drain. I have a friend that is a dive instructor coming by and we are going to see what we can figure out.

Now for the deep end. I was looking in there today trying to see if anything in the debris could be the cause of a possible puncture and thought I saw something plastic, so I grabbed the brush to try and bring it out and realized it was a dead rat!!! It has been in there a while because it has turned white with some gray spots on it. Is the water okay? Do I need to do anything special with the remaining water in there before I start to fill it back up? I want to start putting some water back in ASAP since it is so low in the shallow end and I feel it has been narrowed down to where the leak is. Thanks!

YIKES! (I am rat-phobic!) I would wait until the pool is filled and go through the shock process. That will take care of any nasties from the former rat. You don't want to put any chlorine in the water until you are able to run the pump. Technically you could put in chlorine and stir the pool with your brush, but since you are leaking anyway I would let it slide for now. I speak from experience, stirring a pool will build up your shoulders and biceps but your arms will feel like over-cooked spaghetti for the next 3 days!

Go ahead and get some water back in there. Hopefully it will go in faster than it is leaking out.

Will do.

How long do you think I should shock the pool for once it is full? I hope to get the leak fixed really soon. I may have to try and vacuum the junk off of the bottom since I will not be able to see a hole down there until then. If I remember correctly, you said zea3, that I have to make sure the skimmer not being used is plugged and the other is pulling water enough to keep the pump primed. I assume if the pump is keeping prime, then enough water is flowing...correct? And I guess if I can do this, I could add some chlorine to knock out the rat nasties?!?!

I am late into this thread but I think you need to clean up the remaining debris in your pool before you fill it much more.

I haven't read this whole thread but if you couldn't identify a dead rat, then what water is left sounds pretty murky. Have you cleaned it as much as possible with a leaf net? What is the clarity? A pic would help.

Sanitizing the pool once the leak is fixed and the water refilled will be pretty simple. I wouldn't be concerned about that right now. Post up a pic of that water if you can.

The water is pretty clear. The rat was under the leaves and dirt that has accumulated in the deep end since it has been sitting for who knows how long. I was hoping to vacuum out the remaining debris into a skimmer sock since there is a lot of dirt, but if a leaf net would be better I can do that as well. I have posted pictures just taken below.

zea3,
Yes, I have a skimmer in the deep end (on the surface around the pool).

[attachment=0:1an01q3m]P3280185.JPG[/attachment:1an01q3m]

[attachment=1:1an01q3m]P3280184.JPG[/attachment:1an01q3m]

[attachment=2:1an01q3m]P3280183.JPG[/attachment:1an01q3m]

Attachments

• P3280183.JPG
    P3280183.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 94
  • P3280184.JPG
    P3280184.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P3280185.JPG
    P3280185.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 84
Do you currently have water in the pump strainer basket? If not, or if it is low, then using the leaf net would be best.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think you should stick with the net for now. When you are able to raise the water level closer to the skimmers it will be safer to start a vacuum without running the pump dry.

Yes there is water in the basket, but I will wait until I fill it up. Should my multi-valve on the filter be on closed? It was on filter since this weekend, but has just been put on closed. I had closed the valves (at least I believe they are closed) to the returns and from the skimmers/drain this weekend.

The water seems to be the same level as it was when I got home around 3:30 today. I think I will allow it to sit over night and see how it looks in the morning. I will also look before I go to sleep tonight. I believe it is holding, God be willing. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Visually inspect the corners and seams of the shallow end if you can before you start refilling the pool. If you have already started refilling then don't worry about it. Look for tears or splits along the seams and pool floor.

I have not started refilling yet. I briefly looked this evening right before getting dark and it was getting really cold (it could freeze here tonight!! And to think it was 80+ a few days ago!! I still cannot believe it!). I will look again in the morning and see if I can see anything.

I just went out and checked the water level and it has dropped past the slope of the pool, so I now know it is not in the shallow end. I am putting in a hose now to run over night to start filling it back up. I found out that it is $95 to fill my pool completely, so it shouldn't be too bad to fill it from where it is now and keep it fairly full until I can find the leak.

What should my next steps be? How much should I fill the pool? Thank you!

Yes, it has been leaking since Friday night. The pool filled up to about 2 inches below the lights last night. That is about 3 or 4 inches more than was in there last night. My dad can keep check on the pool while I am at work today so I can keep it filling up.

How high do I need to fill it, all of the way?

What is my next step once the recommended amount of water is in there?

The next step is to clean up as much of the debris as possible and search for possible leak locations. Do as close a visual inspection of the pool floor as possible and if you can manage it try doing a dye test of the main drain.

An alternative approach would be to find or make something to seal the main drain with temporarily and see if that stops the leak.

Should I go ahead and fill the pool all of the way to the skimmers so I can vacuum or partially and seal off the skimmer not being used to vacuum? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.