Holes / tear in liner..

May 12, 2008
East of KC, MO
Hi, late in the season last year I noticed I was losing an inch or so of water a week. After looking around, I found a couple holes in the liner forming where the metal part of the pool walls are joined together (the liner is very tight and stretched out in that section due to the rivets that are used to hook the wall together). And with that caused another issue...the water draining out of the holes caused some of the sand to wash away on the bottom of the floor which is now exposing some pointy rocks (some gravel) to the liner and I am afraid that it will poke a hole through in those sections too in no time!

With all that being said..I was able to patch them myself last year, which helped, but I don't think they are going to last very long (I didn't get good adhesion in a couple of places). The pool is going on 3 years old and already had the liner replaced once about 1.5 years ago, because they made the liner too tight around the return, thus causing a tear in that section. Are they (the pool company or installers) responsible for my latest issue, or am I out of luck going that route? Is there anything else I can do besides replacing the liner? I am just afraid that more holes will develop along the seam in the wall, and also the floor w/ the rocks, as I don't think I can build the floor back up properly with sand, etc with the current liner in place.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

dmanb2b said:
I would take it up with the PB. They are supposed to duct tape that section on the inside so that the bolts/j-channel are not wearing on the liner :hammer:

Thanks! Is there any way to tell if they did use anything to cover the seam? I obviously won't be able to take a peek at it for a couple of months until I can get back in the water...but maybe I can feel for the edges of duct tape along the top part of the seam. What I am afraid of is that they will play the "it's been over a year" card and they won't assist..anyone have insight on that or normal practices in regards to the pool store and warranty/repair issues?

If you can distinctly feel the rivets under your liner, it's likely they did not use anything, but tough to say. Unless you have something in writing from the PB as far as guarantee is concerned, your pretty much asking him/her to stand up to their reputation :roll: . At least have them come check it out. The card you could play is to find your pool's install instructions and see if they installed it as specified, if not, ask them to fix it. It may not work and stand up folks are getting harder to come by, but if it is a well known outfit in your area, it may just work.

Our PB does around 300-500 installs a year, with 70% or so of his business coming from a local pool store...I'm sure he wouldn't be happy if I told him "OK, not your problem...I'll just park my car out front with a sign that said, if you buy a pool...don't use_____ to install it until you ask me for a referral" :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.