To Strip or not to strip

Feb 21, 2011
Hi All-

In the process of bidding out a pretty complete pool overhaul (Plaster, tile, coping, drain, light and skimmer if needed). Have 3 bids and trying to compare apples to apples and everything seems to be lining up OK. I like 1 of the 3 contractors best as he runs his own small crew and has been around for 30 plus years. The one problem in he is suggesting sandblasting where the other 2 say strip to the gunite. The other issue is his sandblast price in more than the other strip prices.

I have 3 questions:
1. What is the determining factor for strip vs. blast?
2. How do I ask best specific questions of the contrator without coming off as a know it all or challenging his expertise. I have a pretty good background as an owner/builder on bathrooms and the like but NO pool experience. I want to show respect for my contrators expertise and still be able to ask specific questions.
One guy wants 40% up front and I am only willing to go 10% - 40% is too much or is it?

Pool Facts
18k gallon with spalling plaster
San Francisco Bay Area

Stripping it to the shell is always the best alternative when your doing a major renovation. You don't have to worry about what might be weak or in the process of delaminating. The only time we sandblast is if there is paint involved and because of the high cost we usually end up chipping them out instead.

Give the contractor that you like a chance to quote the strip option.

40% upfront is pretty hefty. You should negotiate payments that reflect the progress of the job.

I'm almost positive 40% up front is illegal in California. My PB was only able to collect $1,000 when we signed the contract. I cut checks as different stages are completed. Nothing is paid for before it is done (except the final check for the Plaster).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.