sigh, pump problems again

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Back in august we had issues with air leaks in our system that would be visible as loss of pump prime and air in the pump basket
where-else-to-check-for-air-leaks-t25072.html
air-leak-update-t25192.html
still-baffled-by-air-leak-t25851.html

we finally seemed to get the air leak under control fluctuating-psi-and-unable-to-prime-replace-pump-motor-t27250.html and then started to notice a probable water leak (pool level dropping by 1" or more over the course of a week. Will have to admit that pool has been often "out of sight out of mind" in the off season and on at least one occasion the only reason we remember to check on it is if we're out in the yard and hear a "giant sucking sound" of an unhappy pump that has been running for an indeterminate amount of time with no water going through it.

Today I heard the pump sounding rather loud even though there was an adequate water level in the pool and skimmer and no apparent obstructions on the intake end, but I couldn't fully bleed the air from the pump (after bleeding air out, the pump still never seems to fully clear of air and currently the water level in the pump basket is about 1" below the lid). Also the operating PSI is about 8, back when things were working normally the PSI was around 12.

Could the unknown amounts of running the pump dry have harmed the pump in a manner that would make it less able to move the water, resulting in an inability to "clear the air" so to speak? Or is there something else we should be checking?

Thanks!

Speculating a little, but the percentages say you still have a suction side air leak........i.e. air is still entering your system somewhere between the pump and the skimmers and not allowing your sytem to fully prime and reach full pressure.

Find that leak and I'll bet your pump will prime completely and your pressure will return to 12 psi.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.