Pool Cover make the water "too hot" in Phoenix Summer?

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Hi all. Quick question as my wife and I finally have enough dough to get our pool built before summer! EXCITED! but also a bit overwhelmed.

Key issue is the advantage of having a pool cover, electric or not. I'm thinking of the electric type with an in-ground reel. Home and Garden Show coming up so hope to meet a few builders and get the process rolling.

Advantages: I think this primarily is a risk reduction focus. We have 4 kids, ages 5-10...and keeping them safe is high priority. We probably would not do a fence if we got a cover. (I think this is ok per city code in Goodyear, AZ) The other key advantages are reduced water evap, chlorine loss, reduced garbage into the pool and filter. (from what I've read on here - thanks all!) Keeps the water warmer in spring and fall - extending the swim season.

Disadvantages: Cost, including eventual replacement cost in 8 years? Major issue: significantly restricts the freeform structure of the pool and other additions.

Key Question: Biggee: would this cover make the water too hot in the middle of summer? Would we need to uncover the pool at night to allow some heat to dissipate? We feel that eliminates the security feature....

Am I missing any major advantage or disadvantage? Thanks all!

I like Bama's idea there. :goodjob: I'd say that without doing what he said or finding some alternative to that, it would make that pool far too hot over there in Phoenix.

If you get a pool cover, have it be white or reflective or very light in color and opaque. That will minimize the amount of heating of the pool during the day. When we changed from a light tan to a dark blue cover (both opaque), it made a noticeable difference in temperature rise, even in northern California.

Thanks all. We are putting in a waterfall/grotto feature, so perhaps running that a bit will cool off the water. We might add some deck jets as well...not sure yet.

Starting to reconsider solar panels for heating/cooling, although you wouldn't believe how HOT it still is at night mid summer here. It is fairly common to be 100 degrees at 10 pm at night, and get down to only 80 during the night....

thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.